14) Failing together

---✿---

Dear Woonhak,                                    9/17/2023

Why didn't anyone tell me that university is hard? I'm literally majoring in dance and music, you'd think I'd have it easy but NO! For some reason, I didn't think I'd literally be learning the actual science behind music and dance, which I probably should have thought of since it's called an education for a reason. But most of all I'm just tired and I could really use a cuddle right now. Wow, I haven't really gotten one of those in years, I don't even think I've gotten a proper hug in years. Well anyways, I hope you're having a better time in school than me and I also hope you're healthy and happy too.

Love, Jaehyun.

-----

"I'm so sad!" Woonhak dramatically cried as he slammed his dorm door shut behind him and proceeded to walk into Leehan and his boyfriend, Taesan cuddling on the couch.

Leehan slightly shuffled away from his boyfriend so he wouldn't make Woonhak feel uncomfortable before asking "Why are you sad, Woonnie?"

"My prof gave me a bad grade on my paper because I 'didn't cite properly' and now I'm probably going to fail AND I just walked into you two being all lovey dovey, while I'm probably going to die alone." Woonhak ranted as he flopped onto his bed, not minding that he was still wearing his outside clothes.

"Oh come on Woonhak, you want to know what I just heard, two big fat 'probably' and probablys don't sound like definitelys, so I'm sure you're fine," Leehan reassured the younger.

"Yeah, my friend Jaehyun, just got a bad mark on our most recent assignments too, but he just talked to the prof and luckily he's going to be able to do some extra credit work on the next assignment, maybe you can do that too," Taesan spoke up trying to help the younger as well which only earned him two shocked faces in return.

"Sorry, what?!" Woonhak shot up thinking he must have missed heard the elder.

"Oh, well I was just saying you might be able to do extra credit work-" Taesan tried to continue before getting cut off by Leehan.

"No babe, the name! What name did you say?" Leehan asked while grabbing his boyfriend's shoulder.

"Umm, Jaehyun?" Taesan answered hesitantly while looking back and forth between the two surprised faces.

"Jaehyun? Jaehyun, what? What's his surname?" Woonhak stood up too fast, causing blood to start rushing to his head and confusion to cloud his mind.

"Umm, I don't know, maybe it was Lee or Yang or maybe..." Taesan paused as he was trying to think which only made Woonhak itch with anticipation. "Han! Han Jaehyun that's definitely it." The elder smiled with satisfaction from not so successfully remembering the name.

"Oh, it's a different guy then." Leehan sighed with disappointment for the younger.

Woonhak scratched his head with frustration as he flopped back down on the bed. Why did he even think it could be his Jaehyun? Jaehyun is not coming back and it's just ridiculous to get worked up about it or so he thought.

"Are you ok Woonhak?" Leehan asked noticing how distraught the younger had become.

But without a response, Taesan spoke. "Sorry Woonhak, I didn't mean to make you feel worse. Do you guys know a Jaehyun or something?"

Leehan looked at Woonhak, hoping to get the okay before speaking but of course, he got no reaction, so he continued anyways. "There was a guy named Jaehyun who was Woonhak's childhood best friend and he was secretly in love with him for years but by the time Woonhak found out, Jaehyun had to move to America."

"Oh that's sad, I'm sorry to hear that," Taesan said as he peered his head up to look at Woonhak.

Woonhak took a deep breath before sitting up again. "It's fine, I'm fine." He shook his head while trying to shake his thoughts off along with it.

"Are you sure?" Leehan asked, only to earn a hesitant nod in response. "Well, if you want we can watch the new action movie that came out on Netflix, I know you've been wanting to watch it and I bought a bag of popcorn earlier too."

After Leehan's little suggestion, the corner of Woonhak's mouth slightly curled. "Really?"

"Yes really, now come and sit, there's enough blanket for the three of us." Leehan lifted up the corner of the blanket, he and Taesan had been huddled under prior to Woonhak barging in.

"Ok~ but are you sure you guys are okay with me third wheeling?" Woonhak asked once he had already slipped under the blanket with the couple.

"It's totally fine," Taesan reassured while pulling out the remote, still feeling slightly bad for making the younger feel even worse a second ago.

-----

"Huh! How am I supposed to concentrate when all I can hear is this load-ass movie next door?" Jaehyun chucked his pencil and ruffled his hair in frustration.

"Why don't you just go ask them to turn it down?" Sungho suggested mindlessly as he continued playing games on his phone while lying in bed.

"Can you do it, I'm trying to work," Jaehyun begged.

"Your little puppy eyes don't work on me. If they're bugging you then you need to ask them to be quiet yourself." Sungho shook his head as he shooed the younger away, not falling for his little tricks.

"Huh, fine I'll go." Jaehyun sighed as he slipped out of his chair and dragged his feet over to the door dramatically. "Do I really have to?" He asked with his hand on the doorknob, as a last-ditch attempt to get the elder to do it.

"If it's bugging you, then yes," Sungho answered leaving the younger with no other choice but to go.

"Ok, ok." Jaehyun cried before swinging the door open and taking a few steps over to the dorm right beside them.

He then hesitantly knocked on the door, only to earn a bit of yelling from the other side. "Who is it?!"

Jaehyun was kind of surprised that his next-door neighbour wouldn't even have the decency to open the door first but he still continued. "Umm, it's the boy next door..."

Jaehyun heard them pause the movie along with some rustling around before the door finally opened and it was... Taesan? "Oh, hey Taesan, I didn't know you were my neighbour."

"Oh, no this isn't my dorm, it's my boyfriend's." Taesan smiled as he awkwardly scratched the back of his neck.

But before Jaehyun could say anything, a familiar voice suddenly called out. "Jaehyun?..."

---✿---

ac: THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR OVER 2K!!! My story means so much to me and I'm so glad I get to enjoy it with you all. I love you all so much and I hope you'll keep supporting me through the rest of the series. 😙💕

and I would give you guys another fluff chapter but it's about to get good anyways sooo...