Prologue

The rain was falling at high speeds as if in a rush to continue pounding the ground into a muddy oblivion. Cold winds swirled through the air making the downpour frantic and unpredictable. Some tree branches swayed back and forth while giant roots were penetrating the wet surface of the ground. Yet none of these obstacles stopped the hooded man from sprinting through the woods. Even with the cold raindrops crashing into his face, his eyes remained focused on the path ahead of him. Of course he was conscious of his surroundings; he didn't need his eyes to be completely aware. His hearing told him that he was still being followed, although the distance between him and his pursuers had been significantly widened. No doubt it was due to the smart move he pulled about a mile back where he took to the trees for a while. It would make his tracks hard to follow, but he knew those who followed him wouldn't be stopped so easily. Slowed, yes but not stopped. He had to make it out of these woods quickly. That was the only way to guarantee his safety, but it wasn't just his life he was now looking to save. Tonight's events had surely changed the course of everything to come, and if he did not make it out of this tonight, everything that the kingdom had worked for would be for nothing.

The man jumped over a root and slid under a low branch as he picked up speed. Something had gone terribly wrong. He wasn't one hundred percent sure what happened back there, but he knew that something wasn't right. Had he the time, he would've stayed to investigate, but the moment he found what was remaining of the battlefield, if you could even call it that, they were on him. There were only seconds to evaluate the situation and make a decision before it was too late. His choice was simple, run and live to fight. If he had stayed, he knew that valuable time would be lost if not his life. Only one person would know exactly what to do and to get to him; he had to run. The rain began to come down even harder and by listening closely he could tell that the people after him had slowed their pace. That could only mean one thing. He was close. He picked up his speed and within one minute he saw the exit. As soon as he passed out of the tree line he knew they wouldn't chase him any further. No one was stupid enough to attack him here, so close to the castle. The man continued right out of the woods and through a very small village. In no time he reached the edge of the village, which brought him face to face with a giant, white gate with a huge silver C directly in the middle. The gate flung open but he still didn't slow down as he approached the giant palace. At the top of the steps he saw three figures standing and waiting. Many guards watched as he sprinted by but he paid no attention to them. There was only one thing on his mind. He didn't have time for anything else. When he reached the top of the steps, the three figures turned to face him. As he knelt before them, the one in the middle motioned for him to stand.

"What news?" she said anxiously, looking directly into his brown eyes. The man hesitated and looked at the man to her right. "Do not pause to think Jester, speak now!" Jester looked back at her and his heart grew heavy. He knew what he had to say, but he also knew what that would mean, not just for him, but also for her and the kingdom.

"My queen," he started slowly.

"Spit it out," she said, clearly beginning to become impatient.

"Alexander is dead," he said without further hesitation. The queen's eyes widened and she took a step back. If it wasn't for the man on her right extending his arm and catching her, she might have collapsed.

"You're sure of this?" said the woman to the left of the queen whose bright white hair swayed in the wind.

"Yes, sister," Jester said without taking his eyes off the queen, who was still grasping onto the other man.

"Tell us what happened," said the other man. Jester glanced at his sister and then slowly looked back at the queen.

"When I got there, I saw him. He was already dead; I couldn't even feel his life force. I wanted to grab his body but the moment I stepped into the clearing they were on top of me. I broke free and had to run. I would've loved to stay and give them the fight they were asking for but I didn't have a choice." The queen was starting to regain her focus. Jester could tell that nothing he said could comfort her.

"What of the knights?" she asked softly. "What of Angelo?"

"None of them were there," he said. Jester could feel the queen's anger rising. He knew that the loss of Alexander, her closest cousin, would devastate her.

"How was their plan discovered, Demetrius?" asked the queen. The man to her right was still holding her when he spoke.

"I have no answer for that question, Natalie, but I can assure you only the people standing here and the people who went on this mission knew of the plan. If what Jester saw is indeed true, and I have no doubt that it was, then we have a serious problem." Queen Natalie took her eyes off Jester for the first time and looked at Demetrius. Her eyes were full of tears now, but if she was already crying it was hard to tell the tears apart from the rain.

"I leave it to you then," she said softly and without delay she turned and walked into the palace. Demetrius waited until the doors closed behind her before he turned and faced the other two.

"The death of Alexander can only mean one thing," he started, his face void of emotion. "The Prince must have extracted the information he needed from him before killing him and this means we must act swiftly."

"Demetrius," said the white haired woman. "I've known Alexander his whole life. He would have never given up that information." Demetrius glanced at her and nodded.

"I agree Victoria, but do not underestimate the Prince. He is a phenomenal mind wielder to say the least, and it isn't farfetched to believe he penetrated the mind of an already weakened Alexander." Victoria put her head down, as she knew this to be true.

"So what's next?" asked Jester. Demetrius took a deep breath and looked out in the distance.

"The boy and his mother are no longer safe. If we are to prevent whatever the prince has planned, we need to first get them here." Jester looked confused as his sister just focused on Demetrius.

"Forgive me for asking sir, but how is that more important than whatever information Alexander spilled? Why not go after them and face the cowards?" asked Jester. Demetrius still wasn't looking at them when he responded.

"I can promise you that whatever knowledge the Prince has gained is most certainly linked to the boy. There is no time to waste, we must act swiftly. Besides, going after him will do no good. What we don't want is a war."

"If you say so boss," said Jester with a hint of reluctance in his tone, but it didn't bother Demetrius.

"Both of you will go," Demetrius continued. "Find Caleb and give him the details. Take Jonah with you, he is dying to see his father and you might need his help."

"The twerp is only seventeen!" hollered Jester, but again Demetrius ignored him as he turned and faced Victoria.

"Bring him home safely, Victoria," he said softly looking directly into her eyes. "You will undoubtedly have company when you arrive, so discretion and haste are your allies. I will be in touch." Before Jester could say anything else, Demetrius turned and headed inside. Jester made a few sounds expressing his unhappiness as he followed Demetrius. As the rain continued to pour, Victoria turned and faced the gates in the distance. The death of Alexander will have definitely started a war, regardless of whether or not it's what the kingdom wanted. Demetrius had to know that. Many battles were coming in the near future. She couldn't afford to lose the first one. The most important of them all had just begun.