Chapter 8

The loud bang outside of Bartholomew's room startled him so much that he leaped out of the bed and landed on his face. Confused and dazed he made his way to his feet and tried to blink away the blurriness that was his eyesight. He stumbled into the dresser and almost broke his toe. Then, suddenly, the door flung open and in came Victoria, Mr. Cole, and Charlotte. Victoria closed the door behind them as Charlotte ran over next to Bart.

"What in the world is-" but Victoria pushed her finger to her lips hushing Bart immediately. She peaked out the door and then shut it again. She walked over to the two of them and sat them on the bed. Then Bart could hear her voice but her mouth wasn't moving. Bart knew this meant he was hearing her in his mind.

"Listen to me all of you," she said mentally. Charlotte's face was completely lost since she didn't know that Victoria could do this. Bart made a mental note to explain later, which prompted Victoria to give him a nod as if to say, thanks, I don't have time to explain it. Victoria continued, "Somehow Mafortian's team has found the house. They are outside now but I don't know how long it will take for them to enter nor do I know how long we will be able to hold them off once they do. We know they are after you Bart, we cannot allow them to get their hands on you. Therefore you have to run." Bart was confused as to why Victoria said "you" instead of we. "I know, but listen, someone has to stay here and give you a chance to escape. Jonah isn't strong enough therefore I will have to. He will guide you away to the forest and you, Charlotte, and her father will all escape." Before Bart could ask her anything, she hushed him again. "There is no time for debates Bartholomew; this is something that must be done. Now when Jonah gets-" but she stopped abruptly and looked at the door. Bart wanted to ask so many questions but he knew he had to be silent. Just then there was a loud explosion that shook the house and Bart and Charlotte fell over on to the floor. They both got up and Victoria started talking in their heads again. "Change of plans, I was wrong, there are more of them then I previously imagined." The door flung open and Jonah came rushing in, shutting it behind him. They all heard his voice in their heads.

"Baron is here," he said. At first Bart didn't recognize the name. Then he realized after a few seconds who Baron was. His eyes widened as he remembered the huge, muscular, monster looking guy the night of the attack a month ago. Victoria's face darkened as she took in the news. Then she turned back to Bart and Charlotte. She continued to speak in their minds to avoid detection.

"Things are more complicated now. I would normally be able to take Baron alone but if he has others with him, then fighting him alone is out of the question. Jonah and I will fight together while you three escape." Charlotte tensed up and Bart could feel his stomach drop. Alone? How was that a good idea? Bart wanted to protest but he couldn't. He wasn't too sure about this plan. He was already nervous having to fight with Victoria and Jonah. Now they wanted him and Charlotte to fight by themselves? All he could think about was his probable demise. "I know this will be rough but we have no choice. We need to give you the best chance for escape Bartholomew. If all goes well, Jonah and I will meet you again at the cove." Just as she finished talking there was a loud explosion downstairs.

"Um, is this really a good idea?" Mr. Cole whispered. "Splitting up, I mean. Shouldn't we just stick together regardless of what happens?"

"No, that won't do Mr. Cole," Victoria said quickly. "If we are all together, they have a better chance of capturing Bart. Jonah and I will give you a better chance to survive." Charlottes dad looked like he was about to protest but he must've decided against it. Another loud bang rocked the house. This time Jonah didn't speak in their heads, instead he spoke aloud. "I think we should get them out of here now Victoria. Or they will bring the whole house down." Victoria shot him a look and then nodded.

"Run to the forest and don't stop to look back," she was now speaking aloud as well. Bart guessed there was no use in hiding anymore. If the whole house were brought down, they would die in the rubble. "Once in the forest, keep running north. You will pass a clearing that has a huge tree with golden leaves. About a mile past that tree is the entrance to the cove."

Bart wanted to plead for them to all run together but he knew that they had no other choice. He was looking into the eyes of Victoria, and he knew what he had to do. It was a strange feeling that overcame him. He had only known this woman for a little over a month, yet even with that little amount of time, he found himself hoping that she would be okay. He couldn't understand why, but he just didn't want to see her get hurt or worse.

"I don't want to separate," Charlotte said. Bart looked at her and she was on the brink of tears. He knew she wasn't okay with this scenario; she hadn't done that well with the wielding.

Instinctively Bart grabbed her hand. Bart expected her to snatch it away but instead she squeezed. It was in this moment that Bart realized he wasn't in this completely alone. The entire time he had been thinking about him and his mother but he had forgotten that Charlotte was in this, too. It comforted him to know that his best friend would be here with him, but he also didn't want anything to happen to her.

"We can do this," he said looking her in her eyes. "Together." The tears stopped flowing as she stared into Bart's eyes. Then she nodded and they turned back to Victoria.

"When we open this door, do not look back," she said as she stood up. "This is what your training was preparing you for. You can do this." Bart and Charlotte nodded and headed to the door. Jonah looked at everyone, making sure they were ready and then he opened the door. Victoria went out first and then Bart and Charlotte followed. They crept down the hall towards the steps with Mr. Cole right behind and Jonah bringing up the rear. Bart could hear voices coming from downstairs but he couldn't make out what they were saying exactly. They made their way to the steps and half way down before Victoria signaled for them to stop. She turned to look at Bart and began to speak in his head.

"When I go left you go right and then turn and go out the back door." Bart nodded. Victoria put her hand up and turned around. Out of nowhere, a sword appeared in her hand. Before Bart could even process what was happening, she jumped out from around the stairs and was immediately engaged in a sword fight with some random man in all black. Jonah forced them to run to the right and he went to join the fight. Charlotte continued to look back but Bart stopped her and told her to run. They made it through the kitchen and into a dining area that Bart had not seen before but he didn't have time to stop and marvel about how magnificent the room looked. Right when they were closing in on the exit to the backyard there was a loud bang and an explosion. Before Bart could stop to think about it he was sent flying in the air by another explosion and the last thing he saw was Charlotte's body flying in the other direction and Mr. Cole no where to be found.