Chapter 28

Bart was sure that some mistake had been made. He continued to stare into the eyes of the man he knew as Jason, looking for some kind of hint that this was all a big hoax, yet no such hint came. All Bart saw in his eyes were sadness. Charlotte rushed forward randomly.

"This isn't Angelo," she screamed as she tried to make her way to the prisoner but his guards stepped up and stopped her. Bart rushed down to get the guards off her. Gloriana stepped forward and was staring directly at Charlotte. Bart could tell by the look on her face that she was in shock and couldn't believe her daughter was here in front of her. That look made Bart wonder if anyone had told her Charlotte was even here. Then again, Gloriana wasn't here apparently. She was out searching for this man that they claimed to be Angelo. Charlotte's face also looked a little shocked but her eyes were filling with tears. Bart couldn't even begin to imagine what was running through their heads right now. He definitely didn't want to interrupt this special moment but it didn't last long.

"Bartholomew," said the queen as she stepped down and began to walk towards them. "I assure you that this is Angelo and there is no doubt about it." Charlotte snapped out of the trance she was in with her mother and turned to face the queen.

"No it's not," she said again glaring at the queen. Then her mom stepped up and spoke.

"Charlotte, this is definitely Angelo," she said softly. Charlotte shot her a look that seemed to state I don't care what you think.

"This man saved our lives," she pleaded. "Why would a traitor save the heir to the throne? Does that make any sense to anyone here? Why would he save the son of the guy he betrayed?" she screamed. The queen looked around as did everyone else and many began to whisper.

"That's a valid point, Charlotte, but regardless, he is still Angelo, no matter what he did or told you," said Demetrius who was standing next to the queen.

"Why don't we take that rope out of his mouth and let him speak for himself," Bart hollered. He was angry that this could even be a possibility but the more they spoke about it the more he began to believe them.

"If that is what the queen wants," said one of Gloriana's guards. Bart knew that Natalie was the queen but the fact that he was being ignored or overlooked even though he was the next in line to be the King was frustrating. He wanted to demand this man be freed and give him a chance to prove that he was who Bart knew him to be. Queen Natalie must have been reading Bart's mind because what she said next caught him off guard.

"Bartholomew is the rightful King. Even though he has not claimed his throne yet, we should still respect his wishes and his opinion." Many people seemed to be as shocked as Bart was with this statement because he was sure he heard some gasps and some snickers. Yet no one dared to say anything loud enough to be heard. The queen turned to Bart and gestured for him to make a decision. Bart looked at the man tied up directly in the eyes. The depressing look in his eyes hadn't faded as he stared back at Bart.

"Free him and let's hear what he has to say," Bart said finally. There was much commotion that came to a quick end when Demetrius calmed everyone. Then the queen told the guards to unbind him. All at once they raised their hands and the ropes that once held him captive vanished right before Bart's eyes. Then, as Jason stood up, all the guards created spears out of thin air and pointed them at his neck.

"Good to see you alive again," he said looking directly at Bart. "And you as well," he said turning his eyes towards Charlotte.

"Don't speak to my daughter," Gloriana yelled pulling a sword from her hip and aiming at him. Charlotte looked as though she wanted to say something, but held her tongue.