38. Sick and worried.

When Fadilat came back, she met Zahra in her room, lying down quietly.

"Why are you lying down here all alone Ameerah?" Fadilat asked and panicked when she touched Zahra's forehead. It was unusually hot.

"Are you sick Ameerah?" She asked concerned.

Zahra nodded and muttered, "It's a mild fever, Mum. I went to the hospital and got some drugs."

"You what ?" Fadilat was speechless. Zahra must have gone when no one was at home. She sighed and rubbed her head dotingly. "Why didn't you call me or Khaleef? Does he even know that you are sick?"

Zahra frowned upon hearing that name and shook her head.
"He has to know. Do you feel better after taking the medication?" Fadilat asked and Zahra nodded. "Okay. I will bring dinner upstairs while I call Khaleef now."

Zahra pouted when Fadilat left the room. The last person she wanted to see was Abdul. Fadilat did call him but he didn't come home until after 10 pm. He was met with Fadilat in the leaving room and she confronted him immediately.

"I told you that your wife is sick Khaleef but you didn't bother to come back home or even call her. If Ameerah is unreasonable not to call you when she rushed to the hospital, can't you be the reasonable one here?" She said.

"Oh," he nodded. "I will check on her now."

"You'd better do that," Fadilat said and went to her room.

Abdul frowned as he walked upstairs. Was Zahra truly sick or not? He went back to work earlier but he still couldn't calm down. He felt guilty for accusing her but at the same time, another side of his was angry at what he saw. He wanted to calm down that's why he decided to show up late.

He opened the door and was met with Zahra coming out of the bathroom. Her drowsy eyes gave him a cold glance before she limped to the bed. Her right leg was injured.

Abdul blinked and asked immediately, "Are you really sick or did you lie to my mum?"

Zahra glared at him unbelievably and climbed the bed.

"I asked you a question Ameerah." He said.

"Think whatever you want." She hissed and covered her head. Abdul knew she was upset and chose to ignore her too. He freshened up before going downstairs to eat. When he returned, he couldn't fall asleep. Whether it was what he saw, the hurt and anger in Zahra's eyes, or the fact that she was sick and he didn't do anything, Abdul could only close his eyes in silence.

Zahra hadn't slept yet and her eyes were wide open. How was she going to sleep when she was crying inside and her heart was hurting? She just learned of the reason she was facing an untimely and painful death, the reason why she had to leave her mother and brother, and the person she sees as part of her short life now just had to hurt her more. Zahra wished she could let it all out and maybe she might feel better, but couldn't shed tears at all.

The pain became unbearable and she climbed down from the bed. She limped downstairs to the kitchen and opened the lower drawer that Laila didn't use. That's where she hides her drug in the case. She took different pills in her hand and poured water into a glass before swallowing them.

She held the table as her breathing calmed down a bit. Zahra shook her head and turned to leave but was surprised that Abdul was standing there. She ignored him and wanted to pass but he blocked the way.

"What you want Khaleef?" She asked with a frown.

"You are injured Ameerah. I can see you limping." He said, looking at her.

"Oh. So you only saw that now after dragging out with the same injury. Just get out of my way." She hissed and tried to pass but he stopped her.

"Quit being stubborn Ameerah. You are sick and supposed to be in bed. If you needed anything, you would've just told me." He stated.

"Don't pretend to care about me okay and shift before this turns into an issue." She warned.

Abdul nodded and moved from the way. She rolled her eyes and walked past him but he suddenly wrapped his right hand around her shoulder, while his left hand went for her legs, lifting her.

Zahra was startled and quickly held his shoulders. "What are you doing? Keep me down." She said all flustered.

"Stop arguing or your condition will get worse," Abdul said nonchalantly and started walking upstairs.

Zahra could only glare at him and stayed out. The bedroom door was still open, so he went in and dropped her on the bed.

"Don't you dare try that again?" She seethed and held her head that just pounded.

"Tsk. A sick person shouldn't move about or argue. So keep quiet." He snorted and opened the drawer beside the bed. He took out an ointment and sat beside her. Zahra just pursed her lips and turned her face. He looked at the leg she kept limply and grasped it. Zahra quickly held his hand and glared at him. "What are you doing?"

"Massaging that, before it swells up tomorrow." He said and adjusted the pillow behind her. "Be obedient now and stay put."

Zahra gritted her teeth while he started rubbing the cream. He was surprised that she didn't release any sound and became a lot more gentler remembering his rude actions.

Abdul finished and dropped the ointment, while Zahra lay down.
"Are you feeling better now?" He asked after lying down too.

"I don't want to talk to you okay?" She muttered and covered her face.

"Okay. Goodnight." He sighed and let her be.

The next day, Fadilat came up to check on Zahra and her face wasn't dull anymore. Her temperature also went down. This made Fadilat relieved. Zahra still hasn't spoken to Abdul and he could only go to the office like that.

Later, Zahra changed into an emerald green dress and wore a light green hijab before coming downstairs with her bag. Fadilat was surprised and Zahra smiled at her.
"Mum, I think I miss my mother so much that's why I was sick yesterday. So, I want to visit her." She explained.

"Aren't you going with Khaleef?" Fadilat asked.

Zahra shook her head and said, "He has an important meeting today and I don't want to disturb him."

Fadilat nodded and uttered, "I would have gone with you but I'm being held back by work. The driver will take you there. Extend my greetings to Hazaan and Hassan too."

"In Sha Allah mum!" Zahra smiled before she was driven home.

Hazaan was happy to see Zahra but the young lady was in a bad mood as she sat on the chair.
"What's wrong now Ameerah?" She asked and Zahra pouted. "Did you fight with your husband?"

"I didn't mum. Khaleef did everything." Zahra snapped. "Why will he judge me for what he just saw even after I explained to him that it was a misunderstanding, he didn't listen! I almost broke my leg Anne, but he didn't care. He didn't even care to apologize and was acting 'caring' last night. I hate him and I don't want to see his face or talk to him. Ever!" She added angrily.

Hazaan was agape as she watched the fuming Zahra. Did her daughter run from be matrimonial home or what?!