43. Signature crown.

Happiness blossomed and it seemed like a new life had begun in the Kareem Taj's home. Abdul made sure to have his wife's paintings and drawings published and they arranged it in a gallery book. He picked a beautiful pink rose painting and his name's calligraphy and made a frame, placing it in their room.

It was a Saturday, and the couples were in the kitchen Abdul watched Zahra curiously as she cooked. Fadilat wanted to see the gallery book and headed for their room and froze in amazement after sighting the paintings above their bed.

The pink rose blossomed in the black background like a mystic flower. 'Zahra' was written in Arabic above it, representing 'flower', and below it was the signature crown. The other calligraphy was nice too and artistic.

Fadilat narrowed her eyes staring at that crown signature because she was sure that she saw it somewhere.

Think Fadilat, think! She gasped before her eyes widened.
"Ameerah! Ameerah!" She called out.

The two downstairs were surprised and Zahra quickly turned off the stove before rushing upstairs.

"Mum, what happened?" Abdul asked concerned.

Fadilat shook her head and stared at Zahra making the young lady nervous.
"Ameerah, do you always sign your drawings with a crown?" She asked Zahra nodded. "Since when?"

Zahra hesitated before replying, "I started drawing before I learned how to write."

"That…." Fadilat sighed. "Have you ever made a collection and sold it or lost it somehow?"

Zahra's eyes widened and she didn't know what to say. Abdul was surprised and rubbed her shoulders. Even he was confused about why his mother was asking.

Fadilat looked concerned and grabbed Zahra's hands. "Don't worry dear. Just tell me anything. It's okay."

Zahra looked at Abdul and he nodded.
"I did a made a collection and it was my best paintings ever but it got…lost somehow….I don't know how it happened…." She said and started panicking.

"Calm down Ameerah," Abdul turned her to him and said. She nodded and lowered her head.

Abdul looked at his mother and she signaled to him before leaving the room. He breathed and looked at his wife, who was biting her lips tightly like she was hiding something.

"Don't be scared Ameerah. You can tell me anything okay?" He said softly and she hesitated before nodding. He gently pulled her to the bed and they sat crossed legs opposite each other. Abdul stayed silent as Zahra took deep breaths. He always felt that she kept a lot of secrets but refrained from asking.

She exhaled and finally spoke in a low voice,
"My parents named me Zahra because when I was born, I smiled like a blossoming flower. A flower that brightened up their life and their first daughter. They treated me like a queen and called me Ameerah. I was a cheerful child, gentle and smart too. Whenever I was hurt, they always grumbled, who dared to touch our queen? I loved that name and was an optimistic child. Before I learned to write, I played with my pencil and colors in drawing and always signed with my crown."

She took a deep breath and continued, "I started school and my brother was born too. I always noticed when my mother was worried or when they fought with my father, but I didn't take it to heart because to me, my father was my idol with all the love and affection he showed me, I never blamed him. We had a wonderful and peaceful family and even Hassan was never jealous of my special treatment. I was never arrogant or stubborn and cared for everyone. We grew up and everything became clearer to me but a part of me still couldn't blame that man. My graduation from high school closed in then."

That was the turning point of Zahra's life and she shivered remembering those memories. Abdul quickly held her hands rubbing his thumbs on her knuckles.

"I always win drawing competitions in our school and won the national one too. My name was listed to participate in the international competition, and if I won, I would get a scholarship to college. I was very excited then and told my parents. My mother was afraid of me traveling abroad but my father volunteered to go with me and I trusted him. So there wasn't any problem. Reluctantly, my mother agreed.

I traveled together with my father and made four masterpieces that drew much attention. I had confidence that I was going to win and the result was going to be announced the next day. After I left the competition ground, my father brought me to see his friend and handed me to him. He said he was going to buy something but he never came back. I never knew that my father…sold me."

Zahra's eyes turned red while Abdul's eyes widened. Her hands in his were shaking and be had to press them further. Hatred and pain were laced in her voice as she continued, "I never want to believe that my beloved father will ever do that until two days staying locked up in that man's house. He treated me roughly and was never nice. It was only after a week that someone saved me from him and flew me back to Turkey. All my smile was gone as I went back home. My mother was devastated and elated to see me back but no matter what she did, I didn't tell her what happened. I became cold and regressive. My father didn't return to the house too and that's how debtors kept piling up in our house until we left the house. I was determined to help my family and went to my school about the competition but our principal called me to a private meeting and told me that my paintings were gone and there was nothing they could do about it. My name disappeared from their records and it died faster than I expected. He did make a promise to me that he'll let my brother finish high school there on a scholarship but as for college, we should forget about it. I never expected that the person I trusted the most, was the one who destroyed my life."

Zahra's lips trembled, and so did her body but she was holding back her tears.

Abdul was flabbergasted and felt pain and anger hearing all this. How won't that sweet daughter not turn into what she was after what happened? Her talent was stolen, her livelihood and trust broken?

How would Abdul know what Zahra was hiding? The man she was sold to was a scientist and his room was filled with chemicals smell despite her never seeing it. He always made her drink a red liquid and threatened to kill her if she didn't. Never in her life, did Zahra expect it to be poison! Because of it, she was going to die young.

Abdul's eyes became teary and he cupped her face. "I can never know what you are feeling right now Ameerah but holding it back will only hurt you further. You can cry all you want. I'm always there for you. Please."

She glanced at him and started sniffing before breaking into tears. Abdul pulled her closely into an embrace. She buried her head in his chest crying her heart out. Abdul didn't know when he started crying to try his best to cage her in, protecting her from this dark world. All that happened after that incident was more struggles and pains. She who wasn't used to labor became a full-time worker whilst keeping that painful secret to herself and Allah.

Surely, Allah tests his servants in different ways.

Abdul didn't know how to take those memories out of his wife's heart but he could console her and make sure to bring back what she lost. They stayed like that for some time as he held her like his greatest treasure ever before raising her.

She quickly rubbed her wet face and it was red from all the crying.

"Don't cry anymore okay? I'm here now." Abdul whispered reassuringly and she sniffed. He smiled and cupped her face. "You are a strong woman Ameerah and will always be. Smile?"

Zahra pursed her lips and she felt his face approaching her. He hesitated before placing a kiss on her right eye. Zahra stiffened as a cool sensation filled her face. He moved back and she blinked.

"I have two eyes." She pouted and immediately blushed after saying that. Abdul chuckled and kissed her other eye. Zahra smiled holding his wrist. He pulled back and hugged her again.

"I think Mum has a good news. Let's hear it?" He said and she nodded with hope in her eyes.

We know why now right? 🥺🥺