Chapter 19 | Bizarro Affairs

Madelynn

My eyes roll upwards as the sweet sour taste of the cherry juice burst inside my mouth, waking up every taste bud on the surface of my tongue. I open my eyes as I swallow the chewed fruit, the red juice of the half bite cherry run down my hand like a crimson blood. I turn my attention on the view in front of me as the sun set, causing the water to resemble an orange hue. The tickling sensation grazing my foot causes a small smile to appear on my lips. I turn to look down into the water, admiring the numbers of small minnow fish swimming around my leg. 

The Romanov Lake house was a private property secluded from the city area and the quietness of the place was a far cry from the bustling city that I'm used to.

"Sweetie", Mrs. Romanov called out behind me

The half bite cherry fall to the ground as I let out a yelp and turn around to find her leaning against the door while holding two glass of wine in one hand. She extend her other hand for me to take before she says in a voice hinted with mirth, "Come to the front and join us. I wouldn't want you to missed meeting my other baby when he decide to come"

I furrow my eyebrow in confusion but regardless, I pull my legs out of the water before standing up and catch her hand in mine. Mr's Romanov hand me one of the wine as I asked, "Your other baby?"

"Not much people know but I have another son besides Hades and Lorenzo", Mrs Romanov let out a twinkling laugh and took a sip of her wine before she pull me outside of the main door, "My other baby. My middle child"

We reached the patio to find Mrs Romanov and Lorenzo busying themselves over the grill.  I turn to face Mrs Romanov with interest, "I never knew Lorenzo have another brother"

Mrs turn to give me a small smile before she reply, "We never talk much about him, more like we avoid talking about him or even mentioning him in front of our family or our colleague"

The wine left a tangy taste on my tongue as I took a sip, trying my best to not pry and let Mrs Romanov to let me in as much as she allow me to. She took a deep breath before she continue to say in a sorrowful voice, "I'm sure Lorenzo had filled you in about my family's history and that I had ruin some part of our my family's amity"

"Mrs Romanov...", I started to say but she wave me off with a an understanding smile at the corner of her lips.

"You have the right to know besides we'll be family soon with the way Lorenzo been showing an immense amount of fondness towards you", she console as a teasing tone etched in her voice before it dim once again as she continue, "Lorenzo and Hades's brother was once a beautiful soul, the most playful, waggish and full of mischief. It used to drive his father and brothers insane with all the prank he pulls on them"

I let out soft laugh with her at the picture of an irritated Lorenzo. Mrs Romanov let out a detached chuckled as her eyes clouded with past memory, "...but then I lost my unborn baby girl and I fall into a heavy depression. The three of my sons took matter in their own hand and went out to take a revenge in hope that it will took out some of the grief out of me. I was not aware of their plan, not until they got home with blood covering almost their entire body"

Mrs Romanov tightened her hold on my hand and I give them a reassuring squeeze before she continue, "A different type of guilt consume me whole. I scold them until my throat went dry and I expect them to be offended by my reaction, after all, they did do all of it for me but no, instead they laugh. They laugh with naked joy and then they hug me saying, 'It's good to have you back mama'"

The corner of my eyes prickled at the way Mrs Romanov smile as she look over Mr Romanov and her son. She then turn to me as her smile fall before she confess, "They do, all except for one. Diego. Diego Hernandez"