15 | Cake in the Oven

"No ma'am

"No ma'am. I'm looking for something bigger than a three bed. Maybe four or five, but I need that back guest house too." Dayvon spoke into his phone, taking the buckles off of August's car seat.

August held his Happy Meal box and his Fanta orange in his hands while his dad grabbed his backpack and all the groceries from the backseat, then the two of them headed towards the front door together.

"Ok. Yes ma'am, thank you. No problem. Talk to you later." Dayvon pulled his phone from his ear to end the call at the same time that he unlocked the door.

"Go take yo' school clothes off twin. And clean yo' room up 'cause I told yo' mama not to clean it this morning. Ain't that hard to keep yo' toys put up."

"Mommy clean your room too." August looked at him in confusion.

"This ain't about me boy. Gone." Dayvon tried not to laugh, but couldn't deny how unintentionally funny his son was.

Dayvon sat the fourteen bags on the counter, which thankfully weren't too strenuous to carry since they were in Walmart's reusable bags, meaning they wouldn't rip from the pressure of his fingertips.

After unloading and putting them all away, Dayvon pulled off his utility belt on the way to his bedroom.

"Daddy, mommy already cleaned it for me." August stopped him in the hall, now standing in only his boxers.

"Smcht." He smacked his lips. "Next time you gon' clean it." Dayvon pointed at him, and August only giggled before following him towards his bedroom where Autumn was.

They could see her lying in the bed, presumably asleep with the covers pulled all the way over her head. Dayvon saw a cord sticking out of the blankets, so he knew she was using the heating pad, as always.

"I go finish eating and then I can lay with her?" August asked his father.

"Yeah baby. Yo' iPad charging in the living room." Dayvon told him, and he nodded, heading in the direction of his happy meal and his iPad.

Dayvon pulled the loaded gun from his utility belt, removing the clip from the butt of it before sitting it down on his dresser. He placed his belt next to it, and unbuttoned his uniform shirt on his way towards Autumn's side of the bed.

"Princess," Dayvon kissed on her face after removing the cover from her head.

"Hm?" She was mostly asleep, but could hear his voice calling out for her.

"You still sleepy ma?" He asked; she'd been asleep since one in the morning and it was now nearing four in the afternoon. He knew she hadn't woken up besides to use the restroom a few times because he constantly checked in on her from the cameras while he was at work.

"Mhm."

"You aight? You feel ok?" He felt her forehead to see if it was hot, but it seemed normal. She'd been sleeping a lot lately.