17 | Everlasting Smiles

Autumn stared up into the late afternoon sky, watching the dark gray layer of clouds-commonly known as nimbostratus clouds-move around in the atmosphere

Autumn stared up into the late afternoon sky, watching the dark gray layer of clouds-commonly known as nimbostratus clouds-move around in the atmosphere. A thunderstorm happened a few hours go but only drizzle remained now. It was supposed to start back up soon though.

She was lying on a blanket and two of the living room couch cushions to help soothe the pain in her back. They'd be throwing the whole sofa out today anyway, so it meant no difference whether she got them dirty or not.

August was sitting next to her dressed in a black coat, a beanie and a pair of sweats. He was currently building mud pies on her bare stomach since she was only dressed in a bra and boxers. Clothes recently became a give or take with her due to her belly that had been carrying triplets for almost four months now.

"Now if I beat yo' ass, I'ma be wrong, right?" Dayvon stood over her with his arms folded, blocking her view of the sky.

"Um, yes, actually." She shrugged innocently, as if she didn't know what he was upset about.

"Autumn it's fifty two degrees and raining; and you out here in just a bra. Stop playing with me man."

"It's too hot in the house, D. I wanna stay out here." She covered her eyes with her forearm at the same time that August giggled, knowing his mom was now in trouble.

"You knew you could get sick and still came out here with no clothes on. You carrying three kids Autumn. Your pregnancy already high risk. Get up ma." He put his hands underneath her arms, and she heavily sighed at the feeling of being picked up.

"Twin go wait for yo' mama in the tub. The water already ran." Dayvon gestured to the house with his head.

"Where it run to?" August dusted his hands off on his pants as he stood up, giggling again once Autumn let out a laugh at Dayvon's annoyance with them.

Autumn held under her belly while Dayvon held her hand, leading the way to the water hose. He let it run in the grass for a bit before guiding it towards her stomach, allowing it to wash the mud off of her skin so that it wouldn't get their shower dirty.

"You mad at me?" She asked, seeing the natural frown resting on his plump lips.

"No, I just want you to take yo' health more seriously. I don't wanna lose one of them over somethin' small that could've been prevented." He told her, and her playful grin disappeared at his genuine concern.

"Aw, I'm sorry. I didn't even think about it like that. I'll stay inside." She assured, standing on the tip of her toes to give him a kiss.

"Don't lie. You ah' probably be back out here in an hour. I just want you to put a coat on." He kissed her bottom lip when she pulled away, and Autumn smiled in response. They both knew how much she loved being outside, it didn't matter the weather.

Autumn's hand went back underneath her belly while Dayvon held her other one, leading the way in the house. He locked the back sliding door, and then the two of them made their way to the master bathroom.