CHAPTER 15

[MABONTLE]

Aunty Basani is here. I don’t know who called her but I suspect Kuli. How could she do this to me? She is waiting for me downstairs while I change into more decent, outdoorsy clothes. I was also ordered to pack an overnight bag. I have been promising to visit her and now she’s come to fetch me. I feel like a naughty school child in the principal’s office. I finish up and gather my things. The nursery door is open and I see Kuli putting Tlhari to sleep.
‘Why did you call her here?’ I ask her and she tells me to shush. She slowly removes her hand from him and waits a second to see if he’ll throw a tantrum, He doesn’t. We walk out and she closes the door.
‘You were already having intentions of going back home’ she answers.
‘Yeah, home. Not to her house’
I see her sigh.
‘Do you understand that if you leave and go to Khalanga’s house, you’re never coming back here? If daddy hears about this scandal, hell is going to break loose. I am just praying that a family meeting is not called in your name because then you should consider your marriage over’
‘My marriage is already over, Kuli. I smashed my husband with a vase, on the head. He cheated on me with a woman he promised he wouldn’t touch, How do we move on from that?’
‘I am not disputing all that. All I am saying is that you should give yourself the time to calm down, then take decisions with a clear head. Right now, you’re both angry at each other. You need space, but that space will become permanent if you go to your father’s house. I know that man like the back of my hand. He might even beat Fikani to a pulp’
The truth is, I love Fikani with my whole heart and for some odd reason, I do not doubt the love that he has for me even after his shenanigans. I am just wondering what has gotten into him. Why is he doing the things that he is doing? Is it my fault? Did I do something wrong? Am I turning him off now that I am pregnant? What the hell is going on?
‘Maybe you’re right. Let me leave with aunty’
Kuli nods.
‘I am not promising that you won’t get an earful from her though’
Junior walks past and offers to take my bag, I hand it to him. He’s such a sweetheart.
‘How is he though?’ she asks.
‘He was complaining of a headache the last time I checked on him. Hopefully it blows over’
‘You left him in the room?’
‘In the study and he had asked not to be disturbed. Let me go say goodbye to him. Wish me luck’
She offers me a hug and I hug her back. I knock when I get there, and he tells me to come in.
‘Hey’ I greet him,  he raises his eyes from his laptop screen.
‘Hey who?’
‘Hey, baby’ I say and almost laugh. He smiles and indicates with his hand that I can take a seat.
‘What’s up?’ he asks. He sounds a lot calmer than the last time I spoke to him.
‘Uhm… Aunty Basani is here’ I inform.
‘Oh? She just arrived?’
‘Nah it’s been a little while’
‘And no one saw it fit to tell me?’ 
‘I’m actually here to tell you that I am going to spend the night, or nights at her place’
He frowns,  disapproval is written all over his face.
‘Why?’
‘I need some time to think’
‘About?’
I exhale.
‘I don’t know. I just… there’s a lot going on in my head right now’
Kurhula barges in.
‘Oh, sorry! Didn’t know there are people in here’
‘It’s okay’ I assure. I don’t know why but I am glad he’s not mad at me. Kurhula is a cool gent. It would be a pity for there to be bad blood between us. I am already receiving enough judgement as it is.
‘Okay! Just don’t kill each other in here’ he jokes.
‘Voetsek’ Fikani says and they laugh. Kurhula shakes his head and leaves. Fikani brings his eyes back to me.
‘You are not going anywhere’
‘I don’t wanna argue or fight about this’
‘Same! My life is always on the line when we do’ he says with a smile. This is not a laughing matter, it really isn’t. I am having such a bad today, I don’t even have the energy to laugh. He gets up from his chair and tells me to stand as well. He turns me around and hugs my tummy. He keeps brushing it in rotational motion with both hands.
‘You’re the only woman for me. I need you to know and believe that okay?’
‘It doesn’t feel nor seem like it’
‘Khensani is a non-factor’
‘Do you think you need another wife?’ I’ve been meaning to ask him after my encounter with his uncle.
‘I have all the wife I need in you. Have you seen yourself? You have everything. The body, the face, the brains. What makes you think I’d ever want to supplement you? And now that there’s a bun in the oven, you’re even hotter than ever’
‘Your people don’t think I am wife material enough for you’
‘Well, that is your own fault because you could’ve at least attempted to murder me in private’
I chuckle. He’s insane.
‘You haven’t been yourself ever since you fell pregnant, baby. I get that this is something new to you and you might be struggling to adjust but you should try your best to control your emotions. I’ll keep Khensani in check and make sure she never stresses you again, okay?’
I don’t know what to believe right now. He sounds like he means it. I’m not sure but I nod, nonetheless.
‘I hear you. Can I go now?’
‘I said you’re not going anywhere. In what language must I say this so that you understand me? Tell aunty that your husband said no’
‘But… I need some fresh air’
‘Then Tony will take you to the spa tomorrow morning so you can relax and do whatever else you women do there. I’ll join you later for brunch?’
‘You’re really saying no?’
‘Yes. You’re a Mlambya now! You can’t go running back to the Khalangas at first sign of trouble. That’s a shaky foundation for our marriage’
‘Just say you’re afraid of my dad’ I tease.
‘Well, that too but I can handle him’
Can’t help but chuckle.
‘But on a serious note, I am struggling to adjust. I am feeling a lot of things at once. Ever since Kurhula spoke into that calabash, it’s like he sent all the pregnancy sickness back to me. One moment I am hot, the next I am cold. My heels hurt all the damn time, my bxxbs are tender and painful. And struggling with a crying Tlhari last night did not help my case at all’
‘What was wrong with him?’
‘I don’t know. He just started crying out of the blue. A loud, piercing cry. I just kept imagining finally holding this one in my hands and going through that. I don’t think I am ready’
‘You are going to make an amazing mommy. Kids stress adults out all the time, it’s natural and never the end of the world. And I am going to be here every step of the way. With this one and the other nine more to come’
‘You mustn’t dare. You are getting a vasectomy after our third pregnancy’
‘Then I think I should start drinking stuff for quintuplets’
‘I would die a slow death, Imagine’
He turns me around and kisses me, then rubs his nose against mine.
‘I love you’
‘I love you too baby’
‘Now let’s go greet Aunty Basani and wish her a safe solo trip back home’
My phone pings but I choose to ignore it. I’ll attend to whoever it is later.