CHATER 36

[LARONA]

My feet are killing me, I’m even lazy to get out of this car and go inside the house. I’m enjoying driving around in it even though Kurhula teases me all the time – calling it a beetle. I’ve always been a Mini Cooper girly. My uncle understood the assignment here.
I pack my things and step out before Kago can start thinking I’m avoiding her by staying in the car even though I’m home. I find her on the couch, eating ice cream from the tub. Bad habits really die hard. 
‘But we’ve talked about this. You better finish that’ I say and she doesn’t answer. O-kay? I put my bag on the couch along with my cardigan.
‘Babe, gorileng? What’s wrong?’
She’s been off ever since she arrived here two nights ago and I was also going through my own things so we never really got a chance to speak.
‘At this point, I think there’s something seriously wrong with me. Bareng MaZulu? What do they call it? Sechitho?’
‘Sechitho sa eng? What happened?’
She looks at me and I can immediately tell that she’s about to shock me.
‘Promise not to judge me’
‘Just tell me what’s up’
She puts the tub and spoon down. It’s five o’clock and she’s still in her pyjamas.
‘I slept with Mac’
Did I hear properly?
‘You did what?’
‘More than once’
That smile on her face tells me she enjoyed every minute of it.
‘By Mac, you mean Munene?’
‘Yes couzzy man. Who else?’
‘What’s with these brothers and chowing family?’
‘Don’t be like that…’
‘I have to be like this because it’s getting out of hand. First Fikani, now him. Is he the reason you’re sitting here depressed?’
‘I’m such a disappointment!’
‘You’re gonna have to tell me more than that’
‘Yes, Larona. He is the reason I am sitting here looking a mess’
I can’t help but imagine how Kurhula is going to laugh when he finds out. I love my cousin but there’s no way I’m not telling my husband this.
‘It’ll blow over. He left aker? Out of sight, out of mind’
‘That’s the thing. I don’t want it to blow over’
I sigh. Now I’m confused.
‘Let me go take a quick bath and you’ll tell me where all of this started while I make supper. Cool?’
She nods. I take my stuff into the bedroom and manage to come out an hour later. She follows me into the kitchen.
‘You’re the one who should’ve cooked but instead you’re stressing about Mac here’
‘Give me a break. Should we open a bottle of wine?’
‘Not for me, thanks’
She shrugs and opens it anyway. She throws her weight onto the chair and starts pouring. She’s serious about not helping me here.
‘I am waiting for you to tell me what happened’
‘We had fun and I was under the impression that it won’t last. Now he wants me to come to the UK to him’
‘I still don’t understand what exactly the problem here is’
‘I want to go, but at the same time, common sense is telling me not to’
‘Common sense? You also have it? Interesting discovery’
She laughs out loud.
‘Focus, man. I can’t stop thinking about the man. The manner in which he touches me, how he looks into my eyes, how he talks to me during—‘
‘Yey! Hold it right there. I don’t want to hear what the big brother gets up to in the bedroom Kago please man’ ‘
She continues to laugh while sipping on her wine.
‘I can’t help it. The flashbacks, my friend? Lord have mercy!’
‘Sounds like you want to be with him just as much as he wants you in his space as well. I am still confused gore why were we crying on the couch and stuffing our face with ice cream?’
‘The thing is, Mac is not serious and he’s made that very clear. Going there is a recipe for a broken heart’
‘Kago, do you want to go there or not?’
‘I do but I’m doubtful. And I’ve never been anywhere outside of SA by myself before so the thought of getting on a plan and going to whole new continent alone is making me restless’
I empty the remaining packet of pasta into the pot.
‘There’s a first time for everything. You’re clearly enjoying whatever it is the two of you have going on. Do you like him?’
She rolls her eyes. ‘Isn’t it obvious?’
‘Then stop torturing yourself and go. You’re the one who’s always preaching about how life is too short not to go after the thing we want, especially men because that’s your priority’
She laughs and immediately stops when her phone starts ringing.
‘Oh my God. He is calling…’
‘Why are you not answering?’ I ask, still busy trying to make a quick meal for the both of us and her ringtone is annoying me.
‘It’s a video call and I look a mess!’
She’s panicking.
‘Just answer the phone. This man doesn’t even know you that well but he’s already seen your vxgina. There’s nothing else worth hiding from him’
She threatens me with a look and I pretend not to see. She collects her senses before answering.
‘Munene, hi’
‘Hey pretty face. Still in your PJs at this time?’ I hear him speak.
‘It’s a long story?’ she defends. The embarrassment is straining her voice. ‘How was your flight?’
‘I won’t even ask. It was okay’ish. Would’ve been better with the knowledge that you’ll be joining me soon’
‘Uhm… I still haven’t—‘
‘Since you cannot make a decision, I’ve made one for you. The VISA guy is waiting for your details. Please don’t waste his time’
I can’t help but smile while listening to this interaction. This doesn’t sound like a man who doesn’t know what he wants.
‘But Mac—‘
‘UK weather is unpredictable but mostly cold right now so pack wisely. Did you hear that?’ he asks, probably referring to the sound that some device just made near him.
‘Yeah?’
‘Work is calling my name. Wish I could but I can’t chat. Send me your flight details and you’ll find me waiting for you at the airport. Bye for now’
I’m waiting for this girl to tell me what the decision is. She puts her fingers against her smile after the call ends.
‘Are you going?’
‘If I order Celine luggage now, do you think it’s gonna get here before the weekend?’
We both scream. I’m happy she’s happy but at the same time, I’m praying that this guy doesn’t break her heart.