CHAPTER 39

[NARRATED]

‘Welcome to my humble abode’ Mac says to Kago after opening the door to his apartment for her. She could instantly feel the change in temperature from the harshness of the breeze outside to the warmth provided by the underfloor heating. He wheels her bag inside as she takes off the oversized coat he gave her at the airport.
‘You were cooking?’ she asks when she sees the pots on the stove.
‘Yeah. Was hoping to be done before you arrived but oh well…’
‘The guy who called you when our plane landed… is he your friend?’
‘Not really. When you travel a lot, you need to know people, just in case’ he says and pulls her into his embrace when she least expects it.
‘I was so nervous that you’d change your mind. Thank you for coming’
She chuckles. ‘You? Nervous?’
He scratches his brow.
‘You have no idea. Is the fact that I took the day off for you strong enough to convince you?’ he asks, still holding her in his arms and staring intently into her eyes – giving her the look that tends to intoxicate her.
‘You should’ve taken the whole week off. What am I going to do here while you’re gone?’
‘Gone where? I’m gonna be working from home for as long as you’re here, unless if an emergency comes up of course and IF you promise to keep your hands to yourself’
She laughs out loud.
‘What could I possibly do to you?’
‘I don’t need to spell it out. You know yourself’ he rubs his cold nose against hers.
‘Mac?’
‘Yes, pretty face?’
‘Is that officially my name?’
‘Your numbers are saved as such so I guess so. What did you want to say?’
‘What are we doing?’ this comes out as a whisper.
‘You came all the way here to ask me what we’re doing?’ he whispers back and they both laugh.
‘Do you wanna know the truth?’
‘Preferably’
‘I missed your insanity’
He smiles.
‘Wanna know an even truer truth?’ he counters.
She nods. ‘Since that day you woke up in my bed at home, I haven’t been able to get your face out of my mind. You’re responsible for all the work I couldn’t get done’
‘You are not about to put the blame on me, mister sneaky link’
He sniffs. ‘Sneaky link?’
‘What do you call this… whatever it is… between us?’
‘An experiment, a serious experiment’
She huffs – with her tongue covering her front teeth.
‘I hear you. Do you mind if I freshen up?’
‘I actually do’
‘Err… I do not know how to respond to that’
He laughs.
‘I’d like us to eat first then we’ll take a shower’
‘You should’ve simply said you want to join and fvck me. It is that simple’
He pulls a serious face and pulls out his Scottish accent.
‘Khago Mooquenah, I’d like us to have supper first before we get in the shower so I can welcome you home properly, like a gentleman should. Would the lady mind that part of our escapades or would solitude in the lavatory be strictly preferred?’
She cackles and he remains unyielding with his boardroom face.
‘Please stop’
He smiles at the sight of her struggling to contain her laughter.
‘You’re such a gorgeous human being’ he randomly remarks.
‘Thank you. Can I at least get out of my airport fit?’
He gesticulates the direction towards the bedroom and she wheels her moderately sized luggage bag there. She finds him still looking at her when she turns back and playfully blows a kiss before disappearing out of his sight. She gets herself in her favourite Ditsy Floral Cami dress from Shein when she feels like her skin needs to breathe after hours of being in warm clothing. After doing her business in the bathroom, she can’t help but notice the skincare for men on his bathroom counter. He finds her reading the back of the mask tube and simply stands against the door.
‘What are you doing?’ he intentionally startles her and laughs when he accomplishes this mission.
‘You mask?’ she asks.
‘I shouldn’t?’
‘Metrosexual much?’
‘If it’s not my mother, it’s you. Please don’t tell me you two are cut from the same cloth because two days of your stay will be more than enough for me’
‘I’m not judging you. I’m just… your type is rare so I’m bound to be curious’
‘And what type is that?’ he picks her up and gets her to sit between the two basins.
‘Obsessed with cleanliness, grooming and hygiene’
‘What if I argued and said every human being should be that way and the rest of you are the anomalies?’
‘‘No such thing. I saw how you were behaving at the wedding. Even speckles of dust on your shoes bother you’
‘That’s not a fair point considering where I live but carry on’
‘Oh wow. Now you’re too good for the dusty streets of SA? Why did you isolate yourself anyway?’
This conversation continues with him standing between her legs. 
‘South Africa is not a place for a man like myself’
‘Such a snob!’ she laughs.
‘No, really. That place is too messy for someone who values safety and is a big fan of convenience. For example, the transport system?’
‘Okay, valid. I hear your chat because I value those two things as well’
‘You’re one decision away from a completely different life’
‘What do you mean by that?’
He shrugs. ‘It’s a statement open for interpretation’
She narrows her eyes at him and he does the same.
‘What’s your type, Kago?’
She laughs out loud. ‘Don’t tell me that you’re still stuck there’
‘I am, actually. It’s bothering me, heavily’
‘You’re not used to rejection, are you?’
‘You rejected me? When?’
‘Sleek…’
‘Are you gonna answer my question?’
‘Generous’ she starts.
‘By generous, you mean not stingy right?’
‘Of course’
‘Okay, check’ he bends his thumb towards his palm.
‘You’re generous?’ she prods.
‘I was raised by a man who believed throwing money at every problem will fix it so pardon me if I can’t help it. Next on the criteria?’
She laughs out loud.
‘Light-skinned’
‘That’s not fair’
‘How is not fair?’
‘Come on? I’m a Tsonga man who has ancestors from Mozambique. Where the hell am I supposed to get light-skinned genes?’
She continues to laugh.
‘There are light-skinned Tsonga men I know’
‘But you’re sitting in the bathroom of a dark-skinned one right now. What does that say about your standards? They’re flexible?’
‘Now who’s being unfair?’
He shrugs. ‘You’re the one who chose an unlevelled playground’
‘Okay fine. Uhm… he has to be intelligent, like me. I can’t be the only one responsible for the fate of my kids at school’
He laughs.
‘I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t beat me at a math game so check’
She scoffs. ‘Wanna bet?’
‘Think carefully before making stupid bets because I don’t bet for money’
She puts up a pinky finger – daring him.
‘When I win this quiz, you give me a shot as your demo boyfriend’
‘WHEN? Not if? And what on earth is a demo boyfriend?’
‘Get off from there and come show me what you got’
‘Stats or algebra?’
‘Neither, programming’ he walks away.
‘That’s not fair and you know’
‘Again, you’re the one who chose an unlevelled playground. Come show me what you got, genius’ he says, walking towards his work station.
‘I want out’ she folds her arms and sulks playfully.
‘You’re disqualifying yourself, meaning you’ve lost’ he approaches her and the next thing she knows, she’s on the bed with him on top of her.
‘Give me a chance. I’ve earned it’
‘A chance to do what? Give me more mixed signals?’
‘You like accusing me of things’ he kisses her, not giving her a chance to reply. He pulls her thong off and then attempts to go down on her. She brings him back.
‘Do you know how many hours I’ve spent on that plane?’ she asks, in disbelief that he wants to do this.
‘Yeah, I can approximate’
‘You’re unbelievable!’
‘I wanna taste you, please let me. It’s not like I’ve never done it before’
‘I need to freshen up’ she forcefully closes her legs.
‘By demo boyfriend, I meant give me a chance to show you what it would be like to be in a relationship with me. I’ll randomly wanna eat you out after a long day and you denying me that is going be a problem’
‘You’re sickening, do you know that?’
‘What have I done now?’
They cannot help but smile at one another.
‘I told you that I am quick to catch feelings and you insist on giving me mixed signals!’
‘If getting you here and assuring you that I’d love to have you in my space is one of those “mixed” signals then you’re the problem here ma’am, not me’
‘What is this Munene? I am serious now’
He comes back up to kiss her again.
‘It’s more than just sex. That’s all I know’
‘More than just sex you say?’
‘Can I take you out on a silly date on Wednesday? Apparently the weather will be nice according to the weather man’
‘You’re changing the topic…’
‘I’m not. Can’t a man want his woman to taste proper ice cream? You mentioned that you like it. I am talking about gelato, not the sorbet nonsense you eat in SA’ 
She laughs.
‘You need to get off your high horse!’
‘Better yet, why don’t you climb up here? There’s enough space for the both of us’