CHAPTER 23

[MABONTLE]

It’s ten at night and I am standing in front of a steel bath tub full of a black liquid prepared by Kuli. I’d say this is Jeyes Fluid but it smells slightly different. We’re in the plank house where garden tools and other miscellaneous things are kept. She told me to wait here while she quickly went into the main house. She comes back with a mat and drops it on the ground.
‘You’re still dressed? Bontle I am tired. I should be sleeping by now’
She didn’t tell me to get naked mara. I am following her orders here. I take my pyjamas off and find a place to hang them. If it was somebody else, I wouldn’t have agreed to this because I’m not big on traditional medicine and stuff. But I trust Kuli with my life. If she says this is going to help, then it is going to help. She was quick in her steps after I explained what almost between me and Fikani in the afternoon.
‘Even the underwear?’
‘Everything. There’s nothing you have there that I don’t’ she jokes and I giggle at the attitude that’s accompanying this statement. I get into the water and I immediately shiver. It’s so cold.
‘You could’ve at least put in one kettle of boiling water in here’ I say as I submerge myself.
‘I don’t take instructions from you my dear. Okay let’s be serious now. I am going to leave you in here and what you’re going to do is speak these dirty spirits out. Muthi doesn’t work if you don’t firmly tell it what to do’ she lets out that beastly burp of hers that always manages to freak me out. ‘Scold them away and when you bath, don’t rub this water in multi directions. You  pour it over your head and allow it to flow downwards’ she strongly emphasizes the last one.
‘This water is scary’
She laughs.
‘The black you see is because of Madubula. Don’t overthink it. After you’re done, you step out and stand on this mat until you’re dry. I’ll be sitting outside’
I do exactly as she says and after I’m done, she prepares the same bath for Fikani.  We had to drive out with the buckets of that water so she gets rid of it in the bushes next to the river, far from home. I must say, she’s the most boujee traditional healer I’ve ever come across. We take more of her instructions and head the bed.
The next morning, I found myself crying because I couldn’t find anything to wear. Fikani has been invited to some government official’s birthday breakfast thingy. Yesterday’s incident is being avoided by both of us. Let me say I am actively avoiding talking about it. I don’t know why he is behaving like it never happened.
‘You bought maternity dresses. Why not wear one of those?’
He doesn’t understand.
‘I wanted to look like I’ve put in an effort’
He takes one out and holds it up by the hanger. ‘I love how you look in this one. Please wear it’
‘Then look like I was just passing by and not intending to stay? People will be dressed to kill there’
He drops his face and laughs.
‘This is no big deal baby. I’ll also dress down. Marvin will understand that my wife…’ he pulls me into his arms. ‘… is pregnant and has bigger things to worry about. Okay? We won’t stay long there. We just show face and come back home’
I let out a sigh. I take the beige dress from him and put it on. He dresses down as promised and matches my colours.
We leave the house but to my surprise, he drives to the mall. Didn’t he say this thing will be hosted at this guy’s house?
‘What are you up to now?’
He smiles as he unbuckles his seatbelt. ‘Nothing. Can’t a man take his wife out for breakfast?’
‘But you said—‘
‘You wouldn’t have agreed had I simply said I want to take you out’
I am suspicious.
‘Why are you looking at me like that?’ he asks.
‘We could be here whereas your uncles are preparing to go pay for your lobola back home’ I say and he laughs out loud.
‘That’s how much you don’t trust me? Come on’ he steps out of the car and comes to help me out.
We make our order and have drinks while we wait.
‘How are you?’ he asks – wrapping my left hand in both of his and busy kissing it.
‘I am tired of this heartburn’
‘I wish there was something I could do about it. And school?’
‘It’s okay. I just feel like I could’ve registered after giving birth but I’m not gonna give up’
‘That’s my girl’
‘How are you?’
‘Let’s go away for maybe three days’ I suggest. A part of me wished he was there while I was in Cape Town, even though I was mad at him.
‘I’m sorry baby but there’s a lot that needs my attention at the moment. We will though, I promise’
The food arrives.
‘Kurhula wants us to slaughter a goat in Dad’s name’ he mentions before leading the fork with eggs into his mouth. I can’t quite read how he feels about it.
‘And? Are you willing?’
He shrugs.
‘I don’t know. I personally have nothing against the old man. I mean, I only know him from pictures. I’m just surprised because it’s all so sudden’
‘Did you ask him the reason behind it?’
‘I tried but I know when to just let him be and right now is that time. Something happened. I’m not sure what it is but I know it caused a shift somewhere’
‘I didn’t see him when we left’
‘He didn’t sleep at home’
I just figured that he went to Larona. It brings me to our own problems.
‘Do you also want a second wife?’ I ask and his hands stop moving, then he puts his cutlery down. ‘Please be honest. I am tired of fighting. I promise not to overreact’
‘I do not want a second wife. I told you that you’re all the wife I need and I meant it. And besides, I am not up for the havoc that comes with polygamy. I have enough stress as it is’.
‘Am I the stress?’
He lightly chuckles. ‘Maybe, but forget about all that. The reason I brought you here is that I have a surprise for you. Two, in fact. I know you’ll love the first one. I’m just not sure about the second, but it’s something I feel you need in your life’
‘It doesn’t have anything to do with another woman, right?’
‘It does, but not in the way that you think’
Now I am anxious.
‘So the surprise needs me not to be home?’
He nods. I keep trying to convince him to let me know what it is but he isn’t budging. We spend half the day out until he receives a call. He drives back home and the closer we get, the more confused I get on how to feel. Nothing is suspicious as we walk up. He covers my eyes and I walk carefully in front of him – following his instructions. He opens a door and counts down from three. I open my eyes and the smile is immediate at the sight of this.
‘Do you remember when I asked you who your role model is in terms of interior design?’
I nod. He changed one of the guestrooms into an office. The wall has been painted in oceanic blue. The desk matches the chair in white. I know the type of art Winter is into and these ones on the wall scream his name. He bought the iMac I was telling him I was intending to buy, in the exact colour I wanted it in – mint. Along with its matching keyboard and mouse.
‘Don’t tell me Winter was here!’
‘He was. I want you to be in your element when you’re in here. I want his work to be your muse because I know how much you love his craft’
I scream and hug him. I already know the type of rug I am going to put under that desk.
‘Thank you! But I’m mad that my ultimate fave was here and I couldn’t meet him. But thank you baby!’ I kiss him multiple times.
‘He was in a hurry to go back to Johannesburg, love. I’m sorry’
‘It’s okay. Thank you once more. You don’t know how much this means to me’
He holds both my hands and sighs.
‘I know how difficult it was for you to quit medicine, but I want you to know that I will support you every step of the way in this business adventure, pursuing your first love. I actually have a job for you. I don’t know if you’ll be up for it but you can always hire someone to do the hard work and you’ll be the brains behind everything’
‘A job?’
‘They’re done building my mother’s house. If you’re up for it, that can be your first project’
Music to my ears!
‘Of course, I’ll take it. But I don’t come cheap. I go to the best school and I’m inspired by a genius’
He laughs.
‘Look at that pout. What are your rates, Mrs N?’
What are my rates vele? I’m still a student.
‘I’ll send you an invoice if you send me your email address’
‘Expect it no later than tomorrow morning. Wait here’ he walks out and comes back with a covered prezzie.
‘What’s this? A necklace?’ I ask. Feels a bit heavy to be one though.
‘Open it’
I rip the gold cover and immediately feel defeat washing over me. It’s a book. ‘Anger Management for Dummies’
‘Are you serious?’
He has a mischievous smile on his face. ‘Sorry. Couldn’t resist’
He receives another call. It’s my dad. I can tell by how he’s greeting him. The playfulness wears off and he assures him that we’re home.
‘What’s going on?’
‘Come…’
He’s scaring me. I allow him to take my hand and we go meet him in the living room. Masedi runs to me for a hug.
‘Hi baby!’ I greet her. I’ve missed her so much. Dad walks in shortly – having a conversation with someone who my brain fails to process. I look at Fikani, at my dad, and then back at the woman.
‘You look just like her’ she says, opening her arms for me. Who is this woman? I don’t know why but all the pain I felt when my mom’s coffin was going down comes back tenfold. My legs fail me, and I feel Fikani’s hands supporting me as I go down. I am crying like I’ve just received bad news because my emotions are overwhelming me. She approaches, kneels, and hugs me from the front.
‘Tloo ngoanaka. It’s okay. It’s okay…’
She looks like the older version of my mother. She looks like what my mother would’ve looked like in her older years – cleft chin and all. We all have it, including Masedi.
I manage to pull myself together so I can greet her properly. She tells me that she’s my mother’s elder sister and that the last time she saw her was when my grandfather chased her away from their home. She apparently also left home and relocated to Free State because of a job her uncle found her. Yoh, we have lots to talk about.
‘Thank you for bringing her here papa’ I said while warm in my aunty’s embrace. She pulls Sedi closer and hugs us both.
‘You have your husband to thank. I am just an accomplice with very little contribution
I turn to look at Fikani and I see a subtle smile on his face.
‘How long did it take you to find her?’
‘Two months’
And he said nothing?
‘That doesn’t matter anymore!’ aunty says and rubs our backs. She smells of Red Door. I know it because it’s Mhan’ Singi’s favourite scent.

[KULANI]

Larona and I have arrived at my father’s house. We’re late because I was waiting for Mabontle to decide whether she’s coming or not. She eventually decided against it and I had to be the one to call Dad to let him know that she was unwell. This child has her fighting for her life.
The yard is full and my dad is happily dancing to Burn-Out by Hotstix Mabuse, with Uncle Vunene and some man I don’t know. This is his favourite artist, along with Jonathan Butler. One thing about my Bra Lawrence? My dad? He wears his heart on his sleeve and that’s my most favourite thing about this man. People have already eaten, judging by some of the plates, glasses, and spoons I see on the ground. Kurhula has to be here somewhere. Fikani promised to come show face, but he made it clear he won’t stay long. My dad sees us and whispers something into my uncle’s ear. He comes to us and greets us with a group hug.
‘But this isn’t the time to arrive to a ceremony at your home. People were asking about you here’
He complains even though we’ve already explained the situation to him. We reiterate and he asks if his daughter is recovering. I tell him that she’ll live and resort to short answers, assuring him that it’s nothing serious. It’s uncommon to be discussing pregnancy and menstruation with men in our culture. It’s actually taboo. He insists that we go inside to find something to eat and tells Larona that he’s happy that she came. She smiles and nods.
‘Don’t let this one bully you’ he jokes. We laugh out loud. Who have I ever bullied marha mina? We spot Kurhula and Junior in the marquee. Junior is having juice because Kurhula doesn’t allow him to drink in front of him even though he knows that his baby brother is one adulting phase away from being an alcoholic. We go join them and he stands up to kiss both our cheeks.
‘I was starting to think you weren’t coming anymore’
He finds chairs for us and we sit down. Junior continues the conversation he was having with Kurhula, telling him about how varsity accounting is nothing like the one he did in high school.
‘I am breathing through pipes. In fact, I am not breathing at all’
‘That’s uni for you. You’ll adjust by second year’
‘When I’ve already failed?’
‘Maybe that’s what it’ll take for this head of yours to start working. And tell me why you’re van en sitting at res?’ he starts interrogating him.
‘You of all people should know that I’d never survive living under the same roof with a girl for more than four hours’
I laugh out loud. Junior always says that he’ll never get married.
‘Then tell me why I received a call from a girl who was worried about you because you didn’t come back “home”? And further, explain why these kids have my numbers?’ his tone is full of annoyance. Larona is still fascinated by the old man dancing on the dirty green carpet.
‘You know I don’t have a phone. I once called you with hers’
Fikani appears. He stands behind Junior and puts his arm around his neck – playfully wrestling him so much that Junior’s t-shirt lifts up and he almost falls with his chair. We all laugh when he lets him go and the baby bro starts complaining, telling him that he’s going to tell Mhan’ Singi that Fikani hasn’t stopped playing with him in a rough manner like she commanded him to.
‘You lost your phone? Again?’ Fikani asks.
‘You know how groove is’
This is the third phone he has lost.
‘We’ll buy you a Mahlangu once and for all’ Kurhula says.
‘What’s that?’
‘These small Nokia phones without internet because no one will steal it. We’re tired of you’ Fikani answers. I see my dad chatting to Aunty Lydia. She has just arrived. Why didn’t she say that she was coming? Trust her to come to an event when the sun is already going down.
Dad takes the mic so. This is how you know that the ceremony is over.
‘Thank you to everyone who has managed to come. I hope I won’t be hearing any talks about how the food was little otherwise I will be banishing some people. Three cows? Come on? I made sure’
His people roar with laughter.
‘Okay settle down. Before you leave, ensure to pass by those mobile fridges so you can get a packet of raw meat for the kids, okay?’
They celebrate with ululations and nods.
‘Oh before I forget… please help me wish a very special lady a happy birthday. Lydia, my first teenage crush. May you grow backward and beautifully. Getting her to come here wasn’t easy but since you said it’s because I asked nicely, let me take another fat chance and ask you for a dance’ he says and for the very first time in my life, I see her blushing. It’s her birthday? Aunty is a Gemini? The gents whistle and she’s immediately mortified. Her jaw is hanging loose. Mine too because what? The DJ plays Sondela by Ringo Madlingozi and the ladies sitting next to the “crush”, encourage her to stand up. She stands up and I see by the look on her face that she’s going to say something really offensive when she gets to him. He doesn’t care. He’s instead dancing and singing along while he waits for her to close the gap between them.
‘Old man is quite the charmer. I wonder what he was like when he was my age’ Junior says and I laugh. He’s being forward now. Do these two have history or…? The things of this world never cease to shock me. I clap once.