CHAPTER 28

[LARONA]

It’s the end of a work day and we’re fetching Kurhula’s brother from the airport. He’s excited because apparently this man hasn’t been home in sixteen years.
‘Do you mind if I ask why?’
‘Well…’ he scratches the side of his nose while driving, obviously trying to compose an answer. ‘Mac is a very… I don’t know how to describe him but in as much as he’s humble and quiet, he’s a lot like me when it comes to being intolerant to bullshxt. He had a fist fight with Edward the day he left and that was the last time I ever saw him’
‘That’s when he moved to the UK?’
‘Nah. He went to live with his mother in Tembisa, went to tertiary. I think he moved immediately after graduating, I don’t know. We reconnected about four years back when he found me on Linkedin’
‘So his name is just Mac?’ I ask.
He laughs. ‘You and asking a truckload of questions. You’re a true lawyer’
I laugh as well. He’s right there; my dad hated this fact about me.
‘Well then answer me’
‘His name is McIntosh’
I laugh even harder and he joins me. What’s with Tsonga people and heavy English names? Is it because they spent a lot of time with the Portuguese? Where does this thing actually come from?
‘What does it mean?’
‘When I asked, I was told it means Son of the chief. Apparently he was named by my dad’s Scottish friend. He’s the first born so…’
He once told me that Mac is three years older than him but we never had an in depth conversation about him.
‘And he doesn’t have a Tsonga name?’
‘He does, two of them actually. It’s Murhangeli, means Leader and Munene, which means… basically someone great. Mac is the nickname that stuck’ he clarifies before I ask. His second name makes sense actually, considering his position in the lineage. When we get there, we have to wait for him as there are some problems with checking out his luggage. He appears and the excitement shared between the two is just exhilarating.
‘Eyy bruv! Look at you, all grown and stuff’ Mac greets and they give one another a strong shoulder bump, accompanied by fists on the back.
‘McIntosh!’
Edward’s genes are crazy strong. Seeing Kurhula always assuming the disciplinarian role in Junior’s life and watching him being someone’s little brother right now is confusing my brain.
‘I sungurini anir? You’re starting’ he complains and Kurhula laughs. I guess he just wants to be called Mac.
‘This is my beautiful wife. Baby, meet my big bro’ 
‘You’re the second one, right?’
I nod as we shake hands.
‘Nice to meet you. Can’t believe you’re already on a roll and I haven’t even secured one yet’
Kurhula laughs.
‘You’re obsessed with crypto-currency. That’s your number one problem’
‘I won’t even deny, that’s my first love’ he agrees with both hands on his chest.
They continue catching up in the car on our way home. It sounds like they have lots to talk about and fill each other in on. We arrive at the royal house and find Mhan’ Singi waiting for us in excitement. The hug she gives Mac induces tears.
‘Hi, mother’ he greets with a warm smile.
‘Look at you!’ Mhan Singi says, in a tone that could be mistaken for a reprimanding one, Mac gets shy and laughs.  He hugs Mixo as well and tells her that he wouldn’t have been able to recognize her if he bumped into her in the street.
‘Such anger is not good, son. After so many years, you’re only coming home now?’ her tone is now grave and cheerless.
‘I’m sorry. But I’m here now, let’s focus on the positive’
‘You’re forgiven. So… where is she?’ she asks with a provocative smile.
‘Who?’
‘Your wife, and kids’
‘And it starts, should I book a flight back?’ he jokes, and everyone laughs. Kuli appears and Kurhula introduces her to his brother.
‘Ja, noh. In terms of beauty, your standards are very high mfo’ he compliments, moving his eyes from Kuli to me, then back to Kurhula.
‘He’s on his second wife and you’re still a bachelor, stubbornly so!’ Mhan Singi chides.
‘I was just telling this one the same thing at the airport. I’ll take a wife one day, when I find what I’m looking for’ he assures.
‘And what is that?’ Mhan’ Singi asks.
‘I refuse to answer that question. Next thing I know, I’ll wake up to a stranger in my bed claiming to be my wife. I know you don’t waste time in that department. You and Aunty
Fanisa? Where is she anyway?’
His stepmother lets out a belly laugh.
‘We’d organize a celebratory dinner but we have a funeral so we’ll welcome you properly after it’s done’
‘Oh? Who died?’ he asks with great concern and she fills him in. He further asks where Fikani is because he’s dying to meet him.
‘He should be back soon’ Kurhula assures.
‘You’ll never change wena. Your creases are still as crisp as they were when you were still in school’ Mhan Singi notes and we all see that bashful smile again as he looks at his trousers. He asks her to stop and she continues roasting him. Their relationship tells me that she’s probably the one that had the responsibility of raising him; like Kuli does with AK.
‘See why I don’t want to get married? I don’t want to stress anybody’s daughter because I prefer all things to be done a certain way’
‘That’s just an excuse. It’s not good for a man to be alone. What happened to that lovely girl Munene?’
‘Which one?’
‘That one you once brought here when your uncle was getting married?’
Mac is confused and it’s written all over his face.
‘That one man, the one whose drunk Uncle fell on top of the wedding cake’
We all laugh.
‘Ey I’d forgotten how much of a sharp memory you have. I forgot her name, I haven’t spoken to that person in years. I’m not even sure if she’s still alive. If she is, she’s probably married with five kids right now’
‘So you really don’t want us finding a wife for you?’
‘Please don’t. I am begging you. Otherwise I am going to disappear again and for good this time’
She laughs.
‘Don’t threaten me Munene, I am your mother!’
He chuckles. ‘I know, I’m sorry’
His phone rings and he asked to be excused.
‘I hope that’s a lady’ Mhan’ Singi screams behind him after he walks past her to go find some privacy. He looks back and laughs.
‘I’m sorry to disappoint you but it’s the office. Eden, hi’ he answers the call and continues walking away.
‘Oh my son. I am so happy right now’ she states. Even if she did not say it, it’s quite evident.