TO EACH THEIR OWN, I GUESS.

" Can you please help me with this, I can't reach my back,"
I said handing my thick SPF 60 sunscreen to Lesh, one of the girls in our swimming team.

The cris-cross material at the back  of the standard University of Capetown swimming suit exposed my back and I didn't want any sun burns.
I had just applied some on my arms and legs.

Were were in the girls locker room getting ready for today's swimming meet.

My whole body was buzzing with  nerves, it was mostly excitement, but there was also a bit of fright in there.

Coach have put me up for the  100 metres butterfly stroke, and it is not my strongest stroke, but I was prepared to give it everything.

I am a very competitive swimmer, and winning means everything to me.

"Thanks," I said as she finished applying the sunscreen on my back.

I snapped the swimming suit in place and turned to the full length mirror on the wall .

The  gold and navy  suit  clung to my  body like a second skin and showcased my every curve.

I don't necessarily have negative self-image, but I knew that my boobs  looks a little bit bigger for my small body frame.

It used to be an issue for me back in junior school but not anymore . Because back then, while I was sporting a full burst my friends' chests were flat.

So it made me stick out like a sore thumb, not a very good thing when you a teen-ager and still learning how to be comfortable in your own skin.
I used to wear super baggy clothes just to hide the fact.

One of the pecks of swimming is that it will give you a full toned body.
As I took a quick scan of my body in the mirror, I have to admit, your gurl is toned AF!
And I look good, if I do say so myself.

" Hey girls, it's time to come out,"
Coach said as she walked into the locker room.

She was a tough but very kind woman. She made sure to keep us on our toes and constantly challenged us out of our comfort zones.

She trained us to be well rounded in every area and she did not stand for one trick ponies.
That's why today I was stuck with the butterfly stroke when she knew very well that I excelled at the breast stroke .

But we trusted her since our current trophy shelf spoke on her behalf.

"Come for a quick hurdle!"
She called.

We gathered in a circle in the middle the locker room.

"Well, the time is now. You have prepared and worked hard for this moment and today is just for you to show off all the results of that hard work and preparation."
She said as she looked around at each one of us .

" Today is not the time for self-doubt or second guessing yourself. No! If you are in doubt, just do what I taught you and you will be okay.
Now let's go out there and kick ass and show everyone how it is done!"

The energy was electric as we walked into the swimming pool area.
The music was pumping and there was a general air of excitement all around.
The weather was perfect. It was warm and cloudy, and there was a soft cool breeze.

I automatically scanned that stands out of habit. I knew that neither Siba or Sammy would make it today, so I wasn't expecting to see any familiar faces.
The swimming meet was in Johannesburg, which is like a 6 hours drive from Capetown.

Back at home, my parents and siblings never missed any of my swimming competitions.
We are a huge family of 9, so it was always easier to spot them in the crowd.