I PROMISE I WILL BE ON MY BEST BEHAVIOR

"Ummhh... don't you think that's a little too skimpy?"

"What will be a beach without a little bit of skin?" I grin at Sammy as I stuff the said 'skimpy' bikini into my my suitcase.
"No pun intended of course."

She just smile and rolls her eyes at me.

We are currently in our room packing for our trip which is the next day. I can't believe that we are finally done with this semester.

"I honestly can't believe that all your swimming suits are one pieces. That needs to change!"

"Well, they cover up all my bits and I don't have to worry about wardrobe malfunctions and ending up flashing everyone," she  explains.

"The problem is you want to be comfortable all the time, comfort is not always a girl's best friend where fashion is concerned," I counter as I move closer to inspect the contents of her suitcase.

"Move over, let's see what you got?"
I say as I riffle through her pile of clothes.

"No, no, no...maybe," I say as I toss the clothes to one side.
"Hey, stop!" What's wrong with all these?"

"Well, in case you didn't get the memo, we are going for the 'hot girl summer' look on this girls trip. And sweatpants and thick socks ain't going to cut it."

"Well, I love being comfortable. What's wrong with that?" She protests as she takes the clothes I have tossed aside and put them in the suitcase.

I sigh and sit down on her bed.
"Okay, let's compromise. Yes to the one piece swimsuits and no to the sweatpants?"

"Arie I thought you liked me just I am as your friend. I never make any negative comments on what you choose to wear," Sammy says, suddenly looking annoyed.

I am startled by her reaction, I didn't know it was such a sore topic for her.

"You know what, forget it. I am sorry for crossing that boundary, I didn't say all that to be spiteful."

She sighs and sits down on her bed.

"I am sorry too, I might have overreacted. It's just that I grew up hearing that I should change the way I look a lot. I look nothing like my sisters or my mum," she looks sideways at me.

"They are into fashion and makeup, which I am not. Growing up being told you should be more of this and that can be tiring. I never felt I was enough when I wore what I wanted but immediately felt uncomfortable in the clothes they would stick me into."

"I am sorry. I didn't mean to make you feel otherwise," I say.

"I know, you just happen to stumble into one of my triggers," She says with a tired smile.

I move closer and give her a side hug.

My phone phone rings from across the room.

I get up and retrieve it from my study desk. Siba's name flashes across the screen.

"Hey gurl!" I say excitedly as I press the phone to my ear.
I talk to her a bit.
I hang up and turn to Sammy,
"Siba says we can go stay overnight at her house so that she wouldn't have to come all the way here to pick us up in the morning," I say.

"Okay, that's great. I am almost done packing," She says her face lighting up.

"She has asked Kai to pick us up on his way home since he is already here on campus."

Sammy quirks an  eyebrow at me  and gives me a look.

"What?"

"You know you will have to tell Siba soon about what's going on between you guys."