FRIENDS WITH CHEMISTRY

We are deep in the last tests before semester exams.
For anyone who doesn't know, this is the 'save the semester' week.

Meaning, unlike the first few tests during the beginning of the semester, where we felt like we still had plenty of time to build up a stronger CA mark with the promise of more coming tests.

The last tests before the exam are do-or-die. It's a period where everyone have almost sobered up to the realization that they really need to up their game if they are serious about making it to the next semester.

So this explains my rigorous studying and extended hours at the library between my lectures and labs.
I am one of the people that have reached the sobering realization.

If I don't ace these coming tests, I  will have to kiss qualifying to apply for the student exchange
program goodbye.

I am intending on going on an international student exchange program the beginning of my second year, which is just a semester away.
The entry requirement is a Continuous Assessment not less than 4.0 and participation in extracurricular activities, to prove that you are a well rounded individual.

It's not like I have been failing my classes or anything, well except for calculus at the beginning of the semester. But thanks to Kai, I have managed to maintain a good grade since he started doing the tutoring sessions with me.
And I hope my being part of the school swimming team will suffice in covering the latter.

Speaking of Kai, I haven't been seeing a lot of him since the  Johannesburg trip.
It's been two weeks since.
We have both been too busy, consumed by our end of the semester workload.
Everyone was trying to squeeze in the last assessment before the approaching exams reading week.

Since coming back from the trip, Kai and I have settled into a routine of calling and texting constantly throughout the day. We found every excuse to talk to each other.
We video called most mornings and evenings just to check in.

It was fun talking to him.
He was a great listener and I was constantly amazed at how perceptive he was.
I hardly ever had to over explain myself for him to get it.

Like this morning on our video chat, I was in a mood.
Because, first of all, I am stressed out and I am running on fumes due to lack of enough sleep. Secondly, I am approaching that time of the month and my emotions are all over the place.
Last but not least, I actually miss hanging out in person with him but would rather die than admit this to him.
But of course I didn't tell him any of this, I just developed major attitude towards him.
Very mature, I know.

He took it in strides and continued to talk to me unfazed. He somehow managed to get me to tell him all about it. He listened without interrupting as I vented to him.
By the end of our call, I was laughing my ass off at his corny jokes as he tried to cheer me up.

We talked about anything and everything except for the elephant in the room; what are we doing?
He still playfully referred to us as, 'friends with chemistry'.

But we could both clearly feel and see the shift in our 'friendship' dynamic since the trip.
I have accidentally bumped into him a few times around campus while I was  with Siba, and I had to act just the right amount of indifference as I coolly gave him a little wave of hello.

It frustrates me that I have to lie to her. 

" Are you expecting someone?"
I asked Sammy, my roommate.

"Nope," she said barley lifting her head from her bed.

It was a Friday afternoon and we were each laying on our beds, trying to take a nap between our classes.
It has been a hectic week.

I was too tired to get up, plus my next class was in an hour, I needed this nap.
Whoever was at the door will eventually give up and go away, since Sammy wasn't making any move to go get the door either.

The knocking persisted and I groaned as I got up from my bed.

" A delivery for Ariella Thomas."
Said the delivery guy holding the most beautiful bouquet of flowers I have ever set my eyes on.
I just stood there staring at them in surprise.

After what seemed like forever he cleared his throat,
" Are you Ariella Thomas?"

"Yes, that's me,"
I said, finally finding my voice.

"Please sign here for me," he said, as he handed me the flowers and bent down to retrieve a package at his feet and handed it to me too.

I walked back into the room dazed, as I placed the flowers and the package on my study table.

Sammy who looked half asleep a moment ago, was now up on her feet as rushed to my side examining the flowers.

"Wow! Who are they from!?"

I just shrugged, still too shocked to speak.
I have never been bought flowers in my life, let alone an arrangement of roses that seems to have costed more than a thousand rand.

She gleefully turned them around looking for the card.
She found it and handed it to me and stood excitedly waiting for me to read it.

"I remembered that I owed you flower," I read out loud.
The card was simply signed, Kai.

Right on cue, my phone rang. It was Kai.

"Hey, did you receive the package?"

"Yeah I just received it," I breathed in the phone.

" Do you like them?" He asked hesitantly, as if nervous about my reaction.
"I also got you the exam care package"

"They are lovely Kai, but you didn't have to." I said,  as I opened the package.
I could feel emotions catching in my throat.
It consisted of cute stationery and all of my favorite candy.

I really didn't know what to think in the moment.

"I know I didn't have to but I wanted to." He said before adding,
"Please don't overheat that head of yours overthinking. I know you have been having a hectic week and just wanted to lighten it up for you."
"I don't know what to say Kai," I said emotionally.

He was thoughtful and he paid attention to the smallest detail
of the things I liked. Like the erasable highlighters in the shade of colors I usually use to the smarties candy I love.
It's the small things like this that always gets me.
I could literally feel my heart expanding, just like in the Grinch movie.

"You can say yes to hanging out with me tomorrow. I kind of miss seeing your goofy face in person." I could clearly hear the smile in his voice.
I couldn't help but chuckle at that.

"I miss seeing your goofy face too, but can I confirm later?"

"Alright, talk later then."

"Kai, thank you," I said before
hanging up.

"Does this mean that you guys are finally dating now?"
Sammy asked as I hung up.

I gave her a look.
"No, we are just friends."

"Ooh really? Please don't give me that look. Friends who kiss and now send each other flowers?" She looked at me incredulously.

Yep, I told her all about the Jo 'burg trip.
Now I wish I hadn't.
But I can't blame myself because where Kai is involved, I need someone to be my sounding board.
I would literally go crazy if I  tried processing our relationship dynamics on my own.