Chapter 16: Internal Conflicts

I didn't get what she meant by something new, escaping from this reality, I was confused, I wish I can help her but she doesn't let me.

After our talk we both went our ways, I went back to meet kenchin and spend some time with him discussing what was up with Mahiru, I'm worried.

"What do you mean?" He asked cleaning the bike on the storeroom, he owns it now.

"She seem upset but sometimes there's something that's disturbing her, don't you think?" I asked hoping to receive an answer.

"......."

"Kenchin?"

"Hm? You're still here? I don't know what's going with Mahiru but she's always like that, she never shares and when time comes she'll tell you"

"What if she doesn't?"

"Then she doesn't! What do you want from me I'm not her bestfriend? Go home" he was too busy to even listen to me, I sigh going home but remember something "best friend?" I rode my bike somewhere.

"Hasegawa" I called, she was at the dojo practice.

"What's up?" She asked coming down.

"I want to talk to you about Mahiru"

"Mahiru? What about her?"

I explained the same things I told kenchin hoping in receiving a better solution, she hummed thinking.

"To be honest she doesn't share anything to us either ever since she lost her parents".

"Lost her parents?"

"Yes, one day she saw her father was on the ground with a blood of pool and his mother with the gun, I don't know what was going on but they always fought and dragged her into their shit"

"Where's her mother?"

"Prison probably, I can't tell you much about her cause I only know her for 6 years but it feels like 2, she used to share a lot of things but after that she lost her spark
But she did told me there's was this person-" she was cut off by a hit on her head.

"Quit slacking off and get back to training" it was his dad. I got up bowing greeting him.

"Ah Manjiro! Long time no see, you've grown!" He exclaimed checking my arm.

"Still skinny, you should practice with us" he pulled me inside "why not fight with Hasegawa? She had to improve!" Before I knew it I was infront of Hasegawa to fight a dojo match.

"Umm sir-"

"Don't hold back, he'll make you stay" Hasegawa stated and started the match by bowing.

"Are you sure?"

"Overconfident makes you weak" she was quick, she hit me on the leg and I was kneeling down.

"Come on Manjiro! Show some power!" His dad yelled.

I did a high kick but she dodged it, she threw me while holding my leg and landed a kick, I dodged it, I didn't know she was that strong.

"Weird, Mahiru did show some mercy to you" she stated and the fight continued,
She was holding back? No way

The fight was over when Mahiru entered, she greeted Hasegawa's dad and handed him something, she bow again leaving, didn't she saw me?

"Mahiru-" I called but she didn't response and walk out, she seemed distracted but rather she looked like she was about to cry.

"What's that?" Hasegawa asked.

"Equipment for the new room"

I don't know why but she's not the Mahiru I met, she feels like she's someone else, someone completely different to talk with.

I clenched my fist and ran behind her, I met her at the other side of the road with her bike, I got closer and almost called her but her head was down and one of her hand was on the bike.

"Is she-" I noticed she was crying, what can I do? What should I do? I walk towards her knowing I'll startle her I grabbed her shoulder.

"I wanna know what's going on! Tell me, Mahiru! You can't take the pain alone I wanna help, I've already lost my brother I don't wanna lose you too, I wanna help you as much as I can so tell me what is bothering you goddammit!" I shook her slightly back and forth.

"Mikey-" her tears didn't stopped, I used my sleeves to wipe her tears and tried to calm her down.

"No one cares that you're hurting, there's no one for you in this world, your parents even left you because they were tired of you!" 1

Mahiru's pov

There's a voice in my head, I can't stop it, I can't ignore it, there's a void in my mind that bothers me into meeting him.

I can't help but think about him. Who was he? Where is he now? I wanna know, I wanna see him again. I'm so lonely.

One night

I was feeling worn off for no reason, I didn't do anything tiring or something new, it was the same old stuff.

I layed flat on my bed actually throwing myself, I let out a groan from the tiredness, my body aches, I layed for few minutes untill I heard some chattering of some people they were laughing.

"How pathetic"

"Shameful behaviour" I got scared because I didn't recognised any of those voices, I covered my ears trying to ignore them but they were too loud.

I panicked and fell from the bed, I look around and it felt like the ceiling was dropping up and down, I crawled through the floor trying to get my phone which was set on the kitchen table, but i couldn't.

"Get out!! GET OUT!" I started banging my head but it didn't hurt, the voice got louder laughing at me, mocking me

"She can't even keep her promise with that boy"

"What a waste of friendship"

"What boy?!" I yelled and screamed but just then my door was forced opened by a lady, my vison was blured, she came towards me.

"Mahiru, we will meet again"

"Don't forget us"

I wanna escape this reality and go to another, I don't wanna deal with other's personal problem, I hate being humiliated infront of my memebers! they treate me like shit and begged to join the gang.