Chapter 16: Love's Exposed Embers

Draco's POV:

I ran out of the Gryffindor dorms, my mind racing with a mix of embarrassment and frustration. Pansy and Blaise hurried after me, struggling to keep up with my pace. The rant in my head continued until we reached the entrance of the Slytherin portrait. Taking a moment to catch my breath, I realized I couldn't go back inside the dorms. Dumbledore had warned me about it, mentioning something about being shocked by electricity if I dared to enter. How he managed to enforce such a strange rule remained a mystery, and I certainly didn't see the need to share this information with Potter. Because why would I?

Pansy and Blaise finally caught up, panting from the exertion of running. Blaise, his voice strained, asked, "Draco, what happened back there?"

Pansy, her tone flirtatious despite the recent sprint, chimed in, "Yeah, and why didn't you tell us you and Potter were sharing a room? It could have been such an interesting conversation."

My face flushed with a mix of embarrassment and anger. "Shut up! That's none of your business!" I snapped, feeling the heat rise in my cheeks.

Pansy and Blaise burst into laughter, their mocking tones filling the air. They began chanting, "Potter and Draco sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g."

Growing increasingly frustrated, I threatened, "Stop laughing before I hex you two!" But the truth was, I couldn't follow through with my threat. Dumbledore had confiscated my wand, leaving me defenseless.

Pansy smirked, her eyes glinting mischievously. "Why so red, Draco? You look like a tomato," she taunted.

Blaise couldn't help but add, "A tomato that's about to explode."

Rolling my eyes, I waited for their laughter to subside. Once they finally quieted down, I mustered the courage to admit what had been weighing on my mind. "I...I think I might have the littlest crush on Scarhead," I confessed, my voice barely audible.

Pansy and Blaise burst into laughter once again, their amusement echoing through the corridor. "Draco honey, we know," Pansy managed to say between fits of laughter.

I was taken aback, shocked that they had noticed my feelings for the Chosen One. "What?" I stammered, my surprise evident.

Blaise, attempting to regain his composure, said, "We know you like the chosen one, Draco. It's not exactly a secret."

Feeling exposed and vulnerable, I left them behind, ignoring Pansy's lingering laughter. As I walked back towards the Gryffindor portrait, I realized something dreadful—I didn't know the password. I had always relied on Potter to let me in, never bothering to learn it myself. Today, of all days, was the worst possible time for this to happen.

Standing in front of the portrait, frustration washed over me. I knocked on the painting, hoping for a stroke of luck, but nothing happened. I knocked again, desperation creeping in. Still, no response. With a final, frustrated knock, the portrait door opened from the inside. And when I saw who stood before me, my heart sank, knowing that today was truly not my day. The person who opened the door was none other than...

==========================================

Word Count:501