Chapter Twelve: Reality Sinking in

Time flowed with no destination. Arman and I had learned each other's habits. He would be the first one up and look for fruit for breakfast. Then we would both go down to the shore if weather permitted, swim, and fish. We could spend hours there staring out at sea, watching the waves crash against the rocks, and looking at the lovely sky. 

Rex, as I named him, looked like one of those monkeys I had seen in one of my traveling books. He is grey and has a white and black tail. He was always a troublemaker. He always managed to get in my things. 

I noticed he pulled my escape bag. I bag long forgotten. But a necessary one. 

"Do you think I'm a traitor and I WANT to escape? But how do I know if he can overcome the Dragon?" He wined and had his ears turned down, almost in disappointment. 

I look down at my bag. I do not want to doubt Arman. But, the fear of the Dragon keeps me logical. I have to do what I need to. 

"Don't worry, I might not even need to go anywhere. I pack my bag just in case." I stuffed my bag back into its hiding space. He growls at me. I hope I never need to leave...

Arman and I are finishing dinner. We have drinks and stories before going to bed. 

Arman looks in the distance with a fairway glance," This place has never been so cozy... until you arrived." I feel my heart sink, guilty for that bag and doubting Arman. I did not know I would like to be with him so much. 

"Well, a few things were new for both of us. By the way, I have something for you." I forgot what I found while looking at a flute in one of the shipwrecks. 

I played the lullaby tune I sang to him when he was fighting the Dragon. 

Arman looks with awe, " I've heard this tune before. What is it? 

I look sheepish," A lullaby. Mothers sing it so their babies know Mommy is near. Let it be your birthday today. It's a day nobody remembers, but everybody likes to celebrate." Hoping to cheer him up. 

With sorrow, Arman looks down and says, "I remember being born. But I would rather forget." 

I look thoughtfully, "But today, a new man was born. And I am very glad about that. Happy Birthday, Arman." I smile. " Let there be other, non-ritual songs in your life." Handing him the flute. 

He hesitates before taking it. 

His dark soul-filled eyes," A new man. Thank you." He speaks softly. As if he said any louder, and it would not be true. 

He smiles," I also have a present for you because I'd like you to remember this day forever." He holds out his hand, and I take it. I trust him. 

He walks us to one of the cliffs with the wind blowing, the night sky in front of us.

Araan has something in his hand, along with a torch. 

He smiles with glee," Close your eyes." 

I smile teasingly at him, opening and closing my eyes and finally settling by closing my eyes. However, he covers them. 

I hear the sound of a spark going in the air. Bright light shines through my eyes. 

"Now open. I call them celestial flowers." 

I slowly opened and looked up to find an explosive fire creating flowers in the sky. 

I gasped,"  They are so beautiful! I bet they can be seen from the ends of the world." I hope not. I regret packing a bag. 

 I grab Arman's sleeve, careful not to touch his skin. As we watched, the beautiful sky filled with flowers. My heart was torn with wanting to stay and go home.