Chapter Fifteen: The Decision

The boat seemed to sail forever in the never-ending sea. My heart felt numb but broken. 

I heard echoes in the wind. It was Igor and his men. 

"Igor, we've been sailing in the fog for days now, and we'll perish like this. Let's switch to rowing- we might find the island then. We have to make a decision. Here's my decision: we turn back."

I hear yelling," The cliffs again... Calm down, we passed. "

Igor's voice," To hell with the cliffs and the fog! I've had enough, helmsman. Turn the ship around. We're going back..."

"Wait! Listen to me. I promised your father, when he was on his deathbed, to protect your family's honor... Go and get some sleep." We'll continue the search under my command." 

"Yaroslava was right: you're nothing like your grandfather. You don't even know his secret. "

"Miroslava's older sister was right."

Igor angrily, "She was right, you say? Want to marry the King's eldest? You think I don't know? Mira is supposed to send me a sign of her love, and it will be our beacon. Sounds great, right? Now, if there's no sign- what does that mean? It means she is no longer alive. Do you understand? Turn the ship around. We're going home." 

I have heard enough. I signal a celestial flower. 

"It's the Dragon!" Igor cries out. 

"That's not  the Dragon." Helsman states.

"That's the sign."

I told Igor and his men the story:" While the Dragon carried me, we got caught in the storm. He crashed against the cliffs, and I stayed alone on the island. There were shipwrecks all around, and I found this boat."

I told Igor," Thank you for coming to my rescue."

He blatantly spoke," I couldn't have done otherwise."

I was back to being a Princess and what all that entails. 

"Do you love me?" I could not help but ask. 

We were interrupted by Helsman," Princess, we're happy you're safe, but we need to get to the island. I know it's hard, but we must ensure the Dragon is dead." 

My heart ached," The Dragon is no more. Take me home, Igor. I don't want to go back." The least I could do is make sure no one bothers Arman. 

Igor: " Of course." 

Helmsman: "But, Princess..."

Igor: "Mind your manners, Helmsman. Do as the Princess says."

I looked out at sea. My mind wandered to Arman. Is he well?

I must accept my fate. 

Once back home, it was like I never left. People were out and about, ready for the wedding that was never finished. 

I will once again go through the ceremony. 

Arman P.O.V: The story is of a boy who did not want to be a dragon but could not be a human. What was he to do? What am I to do, Mira? 

My sister was trying to be helpful and kind. 

"You'll soon forget this nightmare, sister, and begin a new life." Little did she know, I was no longer the naive sister. I was heartbroken, yearning for a different destiny. 

Arman P.O.V: "You gave me hope, the hope of making peace with myself. If only for a fleeting moment, but that was enough."

I was just finishing getting ready when my father walked in. 

" Here you are, my dear dragon-slayer. Here. Remember this? I kept looking at it and blaming myself for not telling you the most important thing." If only he had known that I had fallen in love with someone...

He showed me the paper dragon I made. 

Arman P.O.V: " Something I've always dreamed of seems to have happened to me. I've read about it in people's books, but I could never understand it. The love between two people."

My father smiles at me," Be with the one you love. Trust your feelings and your heart. The rest isn't important."

My teary vision, the one I love... It seems my father read my mind. 

My Dragon...

Arman P.O.V: "Don't be afraid, Mira. The Dragon will never harm you. Ever.

I wish to be back on the island with Arman. I close my eyes and let go of my paper dragon. 

My sister was surprised," It never flew before..." 

"You were right, Yaroslava." 

"About what, Mira?"

"Now, I understand what it's like to be away from the one you love." With tears silently falling. 

She looked confused. 

"You were against our wedding, I remember. "

She giggles and scoffs," That was silly talk, sister. I thought you didn't love Igor, and that he just wanted to become king." She takes hold of both my hands. "Now, I know that you love each other. He found you. You told me that only true love could take him to the island. Be happy, my little sister. And then I'll be happy too." She kisses my forehead. 

My father and sister's support allowed me to make my decision.