Chapter Thirteen: Fear

As much as I would like to trust Arman, fear and doubt would not leave me. Fear follows me in my dreams, filled with what the Dragon can and will do if Arman loses. The Dragon is taking complete control. 

My worst fears were coming to light. 

I awoke with a start. It was dark with all the torches out, only moonlight guiding me. 

"Arman? Arman, are you here? " I stroll. 

"Arman?" My voice echoing on the walls. I search his bed. He is nowhere to be found. 

"Arman, where are you?"  I hear deep breathing and then a growl. 

I slowly turn around, facing the Dragon on the cave wall. 

I gasp and do not think. I run. 

But I am no match for his speed. 

I know Arman is in there. I slowly reach out my hand. The Dragon is just staring, not moving. 

 Gradually move towards him, not making sudden moves. My hand is outright, reaching for him. 

I make it to his snout, and his hot breaths touch my hand. 

We stare and breathe. 

Then, a glow ignites from his skin, burning my hand. Glowing eyes stare back, and he attacks the light in his chest, intensifying and burning me. 

My screams are all I hear, and I am fully awake, with Arman looking concerned. 

He has his hand out like I am a scared prey. That is precisely what I am. I take big gulps of air. 

"Wake up. Easy, hush now. I heard you screaming, so I came running. What's wrong?" I almost hate how he is so kind to me at this time. 

I tuck in my knees and hold them tightly. 

I whisper," I had a bad dream." 

Arman whispers," A dream? I don't ever have dreams. What are dreams usually about? " 

"Well... Sometimes it's something I'm scared of, sometimes it's something I long for." I say in a daze, still thinking about the Dragon. 

"I'm terrified of the Dragon, Arman." Choosing to be honest with him. "All this time... I've been preparing to..." He interrupts me. 

"The Dragon will never harm you, Mira. Ever. I promise." He slowly reaches into his back pocket and pulls out the flute he was given tonight. 

" A new man was born today, remember? Because of you. He needs you." He stands. 

I force out a small smile. Fear is still in my body. 

I want to trust him so badly, but the fear and dream are so real and still fresh. 

"Good night, Arman." 

"What?" He says he has never heard that before. Which he probably hasn't. 

I smile genuinely, " That means goodbye for the night. " He leaves with that. 

I slowly lay back down. I am fearing for what is to come. My heart hurts, not wanting to leave him alone again. 

As I lay there, the lullaby tune echoes from the walls, flowing to my space. I whisper," Good night, Arman." 

In the far distance, Arman whispers back without Mira hearing, " Good night, Mira."