Chapter Eleven: Living as a Human

As promised, we started with our living space, and let me tell you, it was a mess, but it had its charm if we cleaned and added things to make it more comfortable. It would just be WOW!

A: " You can live here if you like. You will be safe from the dragon."

M: " Arman? This place is empty... Will you help me make it liveable?"

A: " Is that necessary?"

M: "Well... since we decided to live like humans..."

And that is where the search began for stuff to build a lovely, comfy home.

Technically, Arman did all the heavy lifting, and I just told him what to do.

 I found a lovely sea-blue dress and a pink shawl. I have not felt this much freedom in my life. The life of a Princess was constricted with so many rules and expectations. The ability to be free of those rules and have fun is all I have ever wanted in life. 

I laughed while twirling," Arman, how do I look?" 

He paused what he was doing and looked at me with awe. 

" It is a pity that my long braid is gone." My hair just reached the top of my shoulders. 

Arman smiles," I like your hair this way too." I was not sure what I felt at that moment, but it was comforting in a way. 

I smile," You know what? I do, too!" I twirl, laughing until I run out of breath, falling on all the blankets we discovered on the shipwrecks. 

I am filled with such joy, never wanting this moment to end. 

Arman looked puzzled." What are you doing?" 

I sigh, looking at the open ceiling of the cave," I envy you, dragons. To be free and to fly wherever you want to go. It is scary in a way but so freeing. I have never traveled anywhere. It has always been a dream of mine."

Arman scoffed," You envy us? Why? I have not traveled either. The fear of the dragon has kept me here. Imprisoned."

I look at him, puzzled," Why is that? Why let fear win?"

Arman fidgets with a chest," I have spent my whole life on this island. I did not want the dragon...." He did not need to say more. He was afraid to leave and have the past repeat itself. 

"So the flight we took was a first for us both?" I was terrified, but the flight was freeing. 

Arman's lips upturned a little," I guess so." 

And the time we flowed like that. We would go to the ocean in the mornings to wash our blankets and swim. With the evening filled with stories by the fire. I did not want to leave. 

Although we did have some struggles, Arman did not know that once we cleaned something, he could not walk on it with his dirty feet. It was frustrating! But, not more than the happiness I felt being there with Arman and, of course, Rex. 

One morning, we lay in the sand on the shore. Staring at the bright blue sky," Arman, how far can dragons fly?"

" Very far. The wind helps us. They are all unique. And all of them are beautiful. When you look at the current... " He had a look of peace. 

I look at him, confused," Are you trying to say that you can see the wind?"

He looked just confused," Of course, I can. You can't?" 

I laugh. There are so many things I have yet to learn about dragons. 

"No, Arman, I cannot. People can't see the wind."

He looked puzzled and shocked by my inability to see the wind as he apparently could. 

"How can you not see the wind?"

"Araman, how can you see it?"

He smiles and looks down towards a shell filled with flower pedals we collected earlier. 

"If you like, I can show you the wind."

I watch, unable to take my eyes off him. He gently lets the flower pedals go, and the feel of the wind follows them, taking them wherever the wind takes them.

I am in awe. I look at Arman, and for the first time, I feel my heart flutter for a man as a woman should for their spouse. What I would give to stay like this forever.

We stare at each other, a little out of breath. 

"I think it's going to start now." I am puzzled. What does he mean? 

Still in awe, I smile and whisper," What is?"

Just then, thunder rolls and it starts to rain. I smile and run as Arman follows. The feeling of happiness flows through us.