TWENTY-TWO

It's been days since I've seen Kylan.

I would do anything to see him. But for now, at least I have Damien to talk to.

Damien.

He's the only thing keeping me sane. I don't know how everyone else hasn't ripped their hair out or gone crazy or something.

Maybe they did.

I wouldn't know.

Damien's been visiting my cell and we've talked endlessly. Who knew Lombardi'a son could be so easy to talk to?

I haven't been given any updates on any of the other specials, but I'm sure thier going through the same testing that I am.

Damien couldn't tell me anything, because he doesn't know. His dad doesn't trust him enough to give him any vital information.

I bet his twin sister, Katherine, knows. But she doesn't trust Damien either.

I finally built up the courage to ask Damien if I could see Kylan. The look on his face made me feel instantly guilty. But he still agreed.
He wants to make me happy.

Damien opens the door to Kylan's holding and I quickly slip inside. "Just give me five minutes, okay?"

Damien nods.

"Thank you so much. For everything."

Damien gives a small smile and then closes the door.

I turn around, and Kylan's already walking up to me. Before I know it, I'm scooped up into his arms, inhaling his scent and combing my hands through his hair.

I missed him so much it hurts.

"How? How are you here?" Kylan pulls away and searches my eyes.

"Damien— he helped me."

Kylan raised an eyebrow. "H-how?"

"I've been seeing him—" I instantly cut myself off, hearing how wrong it sounds. I suddenly get nervous and feel dirty and start stuttering. "I— he— I've been trying to get updated— like— like my parents and I've been trying to get information on you." I place a hand on Kylan's cheek. "I've been dying to see you."

Kylan doesn't look at me, and he doesn't look happy.

"Ky?"

His eyes meet mine. "I missed you so much."

He pulls me into a kiss this time. I feel like I'm on fire— in the best way possible. I always feel like I'm floating when I'm with him and I love it. I never want to leave.

I pull away. "As much as I want to kiss you— I need to talk to you."

Kylan nods, pulling me close by my waist as he listens. I keep my arms around his neck.

"Lombardi disabled my powers temporarily by using electricity," I explain.

"He tried that on me too— it didn't work."

"It worked for me..."

"What? So you— your speed—"

"No— only for a half hour or so. It came back but Lombardi doesn't know. He thinks he got rid of them."

"You think that's his goal? To get rid of our powers?" Kylan asks dubiously.

"I mean... it's the only thing that makes sense, right?"

"He hasn't figured out a way to disable mine yet. But his testing... it's horrible."

My eyebrows draw together in worry and I cup his face my hands. "We're gonna stop
him, okay? We have to."