TWENTY-SIX

Loud sirens.

I wake up to blaring sirens and alarms. I sit up so fast in bed that I feel dizzy. I sprint outside my room and see so many military guards I can't even count them.

They're arresting Lombardi's agents. It's chaos. Some agents are putting up a fight and even killing some of the guards.

I glance frantically from side to side, one name ringing in my mind.

Kylan.

Is he alive? Is he fighting somewhere in the crowd? Did he escape?

I step forward, immediately met by one of the Japanese military guards. His gun is pointed at my face.

I slowly put my shaking hands up in surrender. He calls over another guard, who walks over with handcuffs.

No, no— no! This can't be happening— I can't be arrested— not now!

They want the artifact. That's the only explanation. They know we stole it and they want it back.

Lombardi had it last, and I have no idea where he'd put such a priceless item.

Where's Lombardi? He's probably already flying out of here on his private jet. But he needs us— so he wouldn't let us get arrested, would he?

The guard pulls my hands behind my back, and just before he can cuff me, someone tackles me out of the way.

Leila.

She drags me away from the scene and we're suddenly running. Running fast. Leila's leading the way and I have no idea where we're going until we get there.

Outside the building, isolated in the back, the specials are waiting.

They're all safe. All five of us are safe.

Chase starts talking. "There are guards surrounding this place in and out and we need to run to the plane—"

I immediately run into Kylan's open arms and hug him so tight. I'm so glad he's okay. I don't care that everyone is watching— I needed him to be okay.

"Amelia can get us there, right?" Summer says my name and I pop up.

"Hm?"

"Can you get us to the place quickly— so none of the guards can stop us?" she asks.

"I— I can only bring one at a time," I respond.

"Do it. Quick. We don't have much time," Chase adds.

I grab Kylan's arm.

"Wait— do me last. Get the rest of them safe first, okay?" he says.

I nod quickly, knowing there's no time to argue right now.

I grab Leila's arm, and run as fast as I can towards Lombardi's plane. I stop at the stairs leading up to the door, and she quickly sprints up them and inside to safety.

I'm shot.

A bullet hits me in the stomach and luckily bounces right off the suit. I don't hesitate to run back to the building before anyone can get a clear shot on my head.

I guess I can't stop for even a second— it's too risky.

I run back and forth with Summer and Chase, and finally, Kylan. I didn't realize how close the guards have gotten to the plane. They know we're trying to flee.

Kylan and I are running up the steps together and I hear shots ring out. I even see some
fly by us.

Then I feel one.

A bullet grazes my neck, just above the line of the suit. It's nothing that could kill me, but it stings.

Kylan pulls me into the safety of the plane and shoves the door shut, locking it.

I bring a hand to the wound on my neck and come back with blood on my fingers. I don't like seeing my own blood. This injury is a lot more bearable than the shot to the stomach. I can handle it.

"Amelia— oh my god— you're bleeding." Kylan rushes up to me, turning my head carefully to the side to see the wound.

"What happened?" Leila walks over.

"A bullet must of just grazed her neck," Kylan says, helping me to a plane seat. "We got really lucky."

I hear the plane grumble and start moving. It makes me hopeful and happy.

I sit down as Chase hands me a napkin. I press it to my neck as Leila and Chase leave to find Summer.

Kylan cups my cheek with his hand while my grey eyes search his blue-green ones.

"It really not that bad," I assure him. "I'm okay. I promise."

He shakes his head. "Why do I feel like you always end up getting hurt because of me?"

I furrow my eyebrows. "What? Kylan no—"

"My own mother— she shot you. You almost died because I put you in danger—"

"None of this is your fault." I grab his hand with my free one. "It's Lombardi. He's putting all of us in danger."

Kylan sighs and looks down. "I'm sorry— I'm just sorry. You deserve a much better life than this."

"We'll be fine, you hear me?" I squeeze his hand. "We'll get through this and have that good life, okay?"

"Okay." Kylan nods, and then looks up as Summer walks over.

The napkin in my hand is now soaked through with blood.

"You got shot?" Summer's face is filled with shock.

"Kinda." I give her a nervous smile.

Kylan stands up but I hold onto him.

"Don't leave."

He glances to Summer and back to me.

"It's fine, I'll only be a second." Summer's finger gently brush at my neck and I wince.

Kylan crouches back down in front of me, holding both my hands in his.

Summer's palm covers the wound on my neck, and I close my eyes, taking a deep breath.

The same tingling sensation as before floods through my body and I feel the skin on my neck start to pinch together. The weirdest feeling.

Once my wound heals completely, Summer removes her warm hand and stumbles backward.

Chase is there to catch her, and he helps her to her own plane seat.

I open my eyes to Kylan and he sits down on the seat next to me.

"See?" I smile at him. "Perfectly fine."

"That's crazy." His fingers brush the skin of my neck, giving me goosebumps. "It's like it was never there."

"She's pretty amazing."

"You are too." He smiles.

I look down, blushing. "And you. All of that power you used at the military base was crazy. I would never have been able to do that."

"I guess I've kind of mastered my telekinesis. Cause I do use it a lot."

"We could've never gotten that piece of the artifact if it weren't for you," I tell him.

He smiles, pulling me into a slow, soft kiss.

I'll just live in this moment for now.

And forget reality.

Just for a second.