Junior Year, MEA Weekend

The tone of their hangout was different today. He was really gentle, no playful shoving or banter as far as the eye could see. She rested on his chest for almost three hours while he multi-tasked between strumming and singing for her and snuggling. It was an offbeat day, but one she'd enjoyed far more than she could've dreamed. It was such a stark contrast to the impromptu wrestling matches and laughter that it made her uneasy.

'Uh oh. Please don't make me have to say not now again! Later, Steven!' She internally begged him.

He walked her home that night, hands shoved in his pockets and thoughtful.

They talked about everything, nothing, and everything in between. Still, it seemed like he was in his head, and he wasn't holding her hand like he normally did.

To say things hadn't gotten awkward after puberty would be a complete lie.

Connie couldn't help but notice that Steven had grown an inch between the last couple of weeks they hadn't seen each other. He was now officially 1 1/4 of an inch taller than her, which wasn't much unless you were a girl who was smitten with him. She kind of liked the sudden growth spurts, how his voice had evened out with a bass-ier tone, she liked how he was bulking on a bit of muscle under his softness.

She'd grown a bigger bust than she'd expected, her boxy figure started to become a bit curvier. She kept her hair shoulder length, it had gotten so curly she couldn't dream of keeping it long now. Luck had visited and now she had a monthly curse to deal with, while being embarrassed that sometimes she'd get a bit emotional or eat a whole candy bar instead of half.

Things were awkward, but they weren't like this.

Finally, they reached her house. The streets were still damp from the rain and the overhead streetlight was flickering, it almost felt ominous with the heavy warmth.

Tentatively, he reached for her hand. "Ms. Knight."

"My Liege." She let him rub his thumb over the back. It was sweet, and now she was blushing as his lips parted again.

"You have pretty hands."

She would've laughed if not for the gravitas. What a silly, very Steven compliment to give. But was he gearing up to kiss her?

"Thanks. You have a pretty voice." Truly he did, she loved that he sang for her. The bass and falsetto made her feel like glitter.

He pulled it up to his mouth and let his lips brush against it as he spoke. Those brown eyes were piercing into her soul. "Perhaps my knight needs a knight of her own?"

It was decidedly romantic, and genuine. She didn't know what exactly he meant by it, but did it matter when he was looking up at her so imploring and mildly terrified when he kissed it?

"Yeah, definitely." She felt like she should be whispering, she was worried she'd shatter the moment. She didn't want him to drop her hand.

He didn't. He moved his back to bring her a bit closer. She'd hardly ever seen him this solemn. "I... don't know what to say."

She giggled a bit and smiled. "Then don't say anything."

"Okay," He was now a bit more forceful with bringing her against his chest. Her hands flew up to rest there, where they always rested when they had moments of closeness like this. His lips met hers apprehensively, they were still new to this. When they parted, it was only to repeat the action, but slightly more sure.

The porch light turned on and the door opened just as they pulled apart again. "Connie! It's time for dinner. Say goodbye to Steven."

He swallowed and took a step back, dropping her hand to shove both of his back into their pockets. "Goodnight, Connie." His voice was rough but his smile was all the same.

"Goodnight, Steven."

Her mom's disapproving tone could not spoil this night.