16. The Secret Dance of Hearts - Dustin x reader (Stranger Things)

Dear readers, I want to let you know that in this story, I've aged up the characters to 15/16, because it's not so common for 13 year old people to kiss. Thank you for understanding, and I hope you enjoy the oneshot!

I took my time entering the gym, which had been turned into a winter wonderland. The gymnasium bathed in the soft glow of twinkling fairy lights and adorned with makeshift snowflakes hanging from the ceiling. The 80s music echoing off the speakers and onto the big room. But despite the music, the laughter and conversations of the students were so loud that it almost drowned out the music, creating a lively and energetic atmosphere.

I looked around to see my classmates, teachers, and other students sway to the rhythm on the dance floor. Some dancing crazier than the others. It was kind of overwhelming, but I managed to keep my cool. My gaze moved from groups to groups, making sure not to stare at the couples making out.

The centerpiece of the gym was the elaborate winter-themed backdrop, providing the perfect photo opportunity for couples and friends alike. A faux snow machine added a touch of magic, casting a gentle flurry over the festivities. The gym's bleachers were now spectator stands for those taking a break from dancing, creating a lively and communal atmosphere.

The students, each with their own distinct personalities, navigated the dance floor. Some were awkwardly taking their first steps into the world of teenage romance, while others reveled in the joy of friendship and newfound connections.

I tried to find some of my friends, but with all the other humans moving around, talking, and laughing, making it impossible to find them. My gaze swept from group to group until it landed on Nancy, Mike's older sister. She was at the punch bowl, serving different students and teachers who seemed to pass. Taking my luck, I moved towards Nancy; her gaze met mine as she gave me a warm smile. As I approached her, my thoughts got back to where my friends could be, or more specifically, Dustin.

"Hello Y/N." Nancy spoke softly, yet loud enough for me to hear. "Hello Nancy! You don't happen to know where your brother is or any of the others?" I asked her, a glint of hope in my eyes.

"I think Mike and the gang are around here somewhere, probably lost in the crowd." She said, taking a moment to ponder before adding, "You know, I think I saw Dustin not so long ago. He was walking towards the bleachers, so you may take a look there." She answered, her gaze scanned the room briefly before returning to me.

"Thanks, Nancy; I will look there. See you later." I replied, waving before leaving towards the fake snow-covered bleachers.

The journey through the gym continued, the soft glow of twinkling lights guiding my way. As I made my way towards the bleachers, I couldn't help but appreciate the elaborate winter-themed backdrop and the faux snow machine's enchanting touch. The gym's atmosphere was a mix of magic and camaraderie, with each step revealing more characters immersed in the festivities.

Finally reaching the bleachers, I scanned the area for any familiar faces. The characters, each navigating their own stories, were scattered among the snow-covered seats. There, I spotted Dustin.

His usually distinctive crown of curls was meticulously styled for the Winter Ball, offering a refined yet playful touch to his overall look. The unruly strands were tamed with a subtle application of hair product, allowing the curls to form an organized chaos that framed his cute face.

The curls maintained their natural bounce, suggesting a balance between neatness and Dustin's characteristic charm. The soft glow of the twinkling fairy lights in the gymnasium reflected off the glossy curls, adding a touch of whimsy to his appearance.