27. Checkmating the Heart - Beth x reader (The Queens Gambit)

AN: There is some kissing in the end of the story, just so you are aware of it. So please don't come to me, because I am warning you of it.

In the tranquil setting of a city park, I and my longtime friend Beth Harmon found ourselves amidst the lush greenery. It's a sun-kissed afternoon, and the gentle breeze carries the promise of a serene day ahead.

Beth and I lay out a cozy blanket beneath the welcoming shade of a sprawling oak tree. On the blanket, a small plate of some chocolates and cookies lay, as well as a small chess board. "You ready to lose yet another round to the grandmaster, Y/N Y/L/N?" I asked Beth in a mocking tone with a playful grin across my face.

Beth chuckled, her eyes sparkling with a competitive glint. "Oh, you're in for it now, Y/N. Prepare for a lesson in strategic brilliance." Her tone was laced with playful banter as she set up the chess pieces on the board.

As we began our friendly match, the park's ambiance transformed into an arena of lighthearted rivalry. The pieces moved with purpose, each turn accompanied by laughter and occasional teasing. The chocolates and cookies on the blanket became a delightful distraction between moves, adding a touch of sweetness to our strategic showdown.

The parkgoers around us cast curious glances at the animated chess match, perhaps recognizing Beth as the famed grandmaster. Our moves mirrored the ebb and flow of the surrounding nature—the rustle of leaves and distant hum of the city—creating a harmonious backdrop to our friendly competition.

Beth raised an eyebrow, studying the board with a twinkle in her eye. "Your move, Y/N. But be warned, I've been known to turn the tides with a cunning gambit." She flashed a mischievous grin, fully embracing the playful spirit of the game.

I grinned back at Beth with a playful twinkle in my eye. "We'll see about that, Beth Harmon. Prepare yourself for my secret weapon." With a dramatic flair, I made my move, feigning a seriousness that sent us both into a fit of laughter.

As the game progressed, our surroundings seemed to fade into the background. The chessboard became our universe, and every move carried the weight of camaraderie and shared history. We exchanged stories between moves, reminiscing about our earliest matches and the evolution of our friendship through the game of chess.

The sun dipped lower in the sky, casting a warm golden glow over the park. The playful banter and laughter continued, creating a bubble of joy in the tranquil setting. The chess pieces, witnesses to our friendly duel, seemed to echo the rhythm of our shared camaraderie.

As the sun dipped lower, casting a warm golden glow over the park, Beth and I continued our chess match, the friendly banter evolving into a more subtle dance of glances and lingering touches. The pieces moved on the board, but our attention seemed to waver, drawn to the unspoken connection growing between us.

With a thoughtful smile, Beth set aside the chess pieces for a moment, her eyes meeting mine. "Y/N," she began, her voice carrying a different kind of warmth. "This may ruin our whole friendship."

Her words lingered in the air, a heavy pause settling over us. I could sense the weight of her thoughts—the unspoken admission of something more beneath the surface. The vulnerability in her eyes revealed a truth that had been silently acknowledged between us.

Beth hesitated, her expression shifting as if she were battling with her own feelings. "Nevermind, it's stupid," she mumbled, attempting to dismiss the moment to retract the vulnerability she had just revealed.

I reached out, gently touching her hand to convey a silent reassurance. "Beth, it's not stupid. Whatever it is, we can face it together," I said, my voice carrying a soft sincerity.