fourteen

🐎🫧🎨 GORGEOUS ! 🎨🫧🐎
( a cole walter fanfic )

🐎🫧🎨 GORGEOUS ! 🎨🫧🐎( a cole walter fanfic )

PART FOURTEEN it was a joke

as forks clinked against plates, an uncomfortable silence hung in the air, thick with unspoken tensions. alex, fidgeting with his napkin, stole glances at his brothers, their eyes avoiding each other yet conveying volumes. jackie, sitting next to alex, sipped her juice, her gaze darting around the table, attempting to ignore the unease.

the sound of the front door creaking open sliced through the tense atmosphere, drawing everyone's attention. "is there anything left? cause i am starving." cole's voice broke the silence, a mix of casualness and hunger evident in his tone. he settled into his usual seat, his appetite apparent as he eyed the remnants on the table. blanca, following closely behind, took the empty chair beside him.

george's voice cut through the room, carrying a hint of authority as he addressed cole's tardiness. "you know you're supposed to call if you're running late, right? i mean thats the whole reason you have the phone."

katherine's inquiry followed, her concern evident in her voice. "where have you guys been?" she asked, her gaze shifting from cole to blanca, seeking an explanation for their delay.

cole's voice carried an unbothered tone as he explained, bits of his words slightly muffled by the food in his mouth. "yeah, we, uh, went to the watering hole," he began, taking another bite before continuing, "lost track of time."

"hey, i-"

george swiftly interrupted blanca, raising a finger to silence her before she could speak. blanca, wearing a frown of mild surprise, halted mid-sentence, her attempt to interject paused by george's assertiveness. the sudden interruption further heightened the already strained atmosphere, leaving an uncomfortable pause in the conversation, everyone momentarily frozen in the wake of george's interruption.

"hey, cole, you know anything about a bet with isacc this morning?"

cole's gaze shifted briefly to blanca before he responded to his father. "no. no, doesn't ring a bell," he replied, trying to deflect any association with the mentioned bet, his tone masking any sign of recognition.

george's persistence was evident as he pressed further, stating, "i didn't get that," prompting cole for a clearer response.

katherine added weight to the situation. "seriously, cole,"

cole's nonchalant demeanor persisted as he continued sorting his food onto his plate. "it was a joke, okay?" he replied, attempting to downplay the seriousness of the situation.