5. "-Pretty, and totally tubular."

THE NEXT morning, James had come into Jax's room and sighed angrily. He started rummaging around, waking up his son.

"What are you doing?" Jaxon asked, rubbing his eyes.

"I need some money, alright? Hand it over, all that you got." James, stood over him, looking down.n

"I only got seven bucks, and I need i-"

"You want another black eye!? You think you're tough for having that, don't you?" He grabbed Jax by his shirt, tugging him up.

"N-no- I'll get it." He rolled out of bed and pulled open a drawer. There was a $5 bill and 8 quarters in a plastic bag. James ripped it out of his hand and almost let out a smile. "Need a ride anywhere today?"

"Yeah, yeah. The junkyard. Tonight. Is that okay?" Jax asked, opening his other drawers for an outfit.

"Yeah, sure. If you find anything worthy bring it home, alright?" James pat his shoulder exiting his room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I said medium well!" Lucas called out, hopping off his bike with Max on the back. Them, Jax, Dustin and Steve Harrington (for some reason) were all at the junkyard to give Max proof Lucas's story was legit. Jaxon tossed his bike on the ground and walked over. Steve wanted to start right away, so he ordered Max and Jax to go find some scraps of metal. Lucas and Dustin, however, were hiding behind a car arguing.

"So, all of this shit is real?" Max asked Jax.

"Yeah. Its okay if you don't believe us. I mean- I wouldn't if you told me about a girl with superpowers and the government." Jax said as he tossed her some metal to place beside the bus.

"Hey! Dickheads! Why is the only people helping me is Grazer and this random girl? We lose light in 40 minutes lets go! Lets go I said! Steve exclaimed, with Dustin and Lucas following behind him.

About an hour later, they were all still at the junkyard, waiting for any sight of dart. Jax was on top of the bus, keeping look out. After Dustin had gave Max attitude, she decided to go up top and sit with him.

"It's kinda awesome." Max smiled. "The fog. Looks like the ocean."

"Do you miss it?" Jax asked, setting the binoculars down.

"What?"

"The ocean, the surfer babes. California? I bet hawkins seems pretty lame."

"Nono, its not that. Its just- my dads still there."

"Why?"

"Well, my parents divorced. When a mommy and daddy don't love ea-" Max teased.

"I know what a divorce is, stupid." Jax rolled his eyes, but let her continue.

"My mom and my stepdad, they wanted a fresh start away from him. As if he was the problem, which is total bull." She started to tear up, unable to meet Jax's gaze. "And things.. are just worse now. My stepbrother, he's always been s dick but now he's just angry all the time. And.. well he can't take it out on my mom, so.."

Jax's gaze softened as he began to chew on his lip. "So he takes it out on you?"

"Its just- I know I can be a jerk like him sometimes. I totally freaked out on Lucas, and you saw how he looked at you the first day. I guess- I'm angry too and i'm sorry." She took a deep breath and wiped her eyes. "Jesus, whats wrong with me!"

"Max, you're nothing like your brother, okay? You're smart, cool, pretty, and totally tubular." Jax smiled, reaching over to wipe a tear off her cheek. Max laughed at his joke, and felt her cheeks heating up. "Nobody actually says that, y'know."