8. "You and me, out there together."

TODAY WAS December 15th, the night of the snowball. It was 6:45pm when Jax had biked over to the Byers household, and now he sat in the living room with their family as Joyce tried teaching Will how to dance. Of course, Johnathan was right there to film it all. Jingle bell rock was faintly playing to set the mood.

"Do you always have to be filming everything?" Will questioned, slightly embarrassed.

"No, no, just the good stuff." Johnathan chuckled, keeping the camera pointed at his brother.

"Will, when you're all old and wrinkly you're gonna wanna look back at 8th grade." Jax reasoned.

"Yeah, I love looking back at my old photos." Joyce agreed.

"Are you sure people still dance like this?" Will asked, changing the topic.

"Yeah, it's whats happening." Joyce smiled.

"Is it whats happening?" Will asked for confirmation from the two other boys.

"Yeah, yeah it's what happening." Johnathan nodded.

"Will I'm telling you, you take anyone on the dance floor with those moves and you'll probably secure a date to prom five years early." Jaxon spoke with full confidence.

"You're just saying that because you wanna ask Max out." Will ratted Jax out.

"N-no-"

"No way! I knew it! Gosh, you two are too cute." Joyce gushed. "Jaxon, why didn't you tell me! Come here," she waved her hand. "Come. I need to make sure you can dance too."

Jax sighed and stood up, straightening his suit jacket. Joyce positioned them the same way her and Will were dancing and started to sway.

"Get that! Get that!" Will pointed at his mom and best friend for Johnathan to record.

"Wow, you don't even need me!" Joyce began to enjoy herself, with Jax spinning her.

"This isn't my first rodeo, Ms. Byers."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mike, Lucas, Will, and Max were all sitting at a table in the school gym. Jaxon had gone to the bathroom and was walking back when Dustin had arrived.
He walked up to them and did a spin with his tongue out.

"Holy shit, what happened to you?!" Mike exclaimed.

There was a short silence as Dustin looked at them in disbelief.

"What do you mean, 'what happened'?" Dustin asked.

"What?!" Lucas spoke in disbelief.

"Dude!" Lucas smiled.

"Your hair!" Max pointed out the obvious.

Jax couldn't help but laugh. It did look good, but he was just surprised. "Is there a bird nesting in there?" He reached out, trying to search Dustin's head.

"No- what? No theres nothing wrong with my hair and there's no bird nesting in here asshole!" Dustin spoke in defense, pulling Jaxon's arm down. "I worked hard." The curly-haired boy patted his hair back into place while a slow song began to play.

"C'mon." Will whispered to Jax as he lightly slapped his arm. He motioned over to Max. Jax took a deep breath and walked over.

"Hey, Carrots. I was thinking- Max- y'know, if you wanted to dance? Like you and me- out there together. Or no- that's cool too. I support your right to choo-" Jax rambled. Max smiled and listened to him ramble until she took his hand. "So smooth, Larusso." Max pulled him to the dance floor.

Max wrapped her arms around Jax's neck and he snaked his around her waist. All the other boys awkwardly had their hands on either side of their dates hips, but Jax's hands held the back of Max's lower back.

"Is this okay?" He asked.

"What? Oh- y-yeah-" For once, a boy had made Max Mayfield nervous. Jax had finally scored with the girl of his dreams. Dustin was dancing with Nancy, Will and Lucas found girls, and El had arrived for Mike. It was perfect.

It was nearing the end of the song, and everyone had felt the vibe. Slowly, kids were leaning into their partners, and that did not skip out on Jax and Max. They both stared at each other for a few moments, silently letting the other know they were okay with it happening. They both leaned in, connecting their lips. The first one was short, until Max went back in for a second kiss. They both kept eye contact and they smiled widely at each other. Max then laid her head on Jaxon's shoulder. This night could not have gotten any better.