30.1 "Memory in your Mind"

(for the sake of this being the fun ending, pretend the karate kid 2 came out in march and not june)

ON THE way to the Creel house, Max and Jaxon were sat in the backseat of the RV. They were both listening to their own music, holding hands with Max's head on Jaxon's shoulder. Their knees were touching and Jax silently wished they could stay this way forever. He really wouldn't mind if he died like a statue with Max by his side. That's probably how he'd prefer to go out. But, unfortunately that wasn't the case. In a few minutes they would be fighting Vecna.

Jax slid his headphones off his ears and around his neck, before tapping Max's hand twice with his thumb, signalling he wanted to talk. She repeated the action with her headphones before sitting up and turning to him.

"Hey, so.. I was thinking- and before you get mad," Jax put his palm out, since Max had already opened her mouth to interrupt him. "I really believe it's gonna work. Or- help. I think that we should focus on the same memory. I should go in there with you and Veronica can take my spot with Lucas."

"Okay, but we're putting more of us at risk, that's the complete opposite of what we're trying to do." Max argued, with her eyes narrowed.

"You said it yourself. It's our minds, not his. And if I'm in your memory, that'll make it even stronger than just you being there." He looked at the redhead with pleading eyes. She thought for a minute, weighing all of the outcomes that had shot into her brain. Reluctantly, she nodded.

"Okay, fine. But she better by ready with Maiden or I swear I'll haunt her as a ghost." Max pointed a stern finger at Jax, who chuckled and lowered it into her lap.

"The same way she'll be ready with Bush."

Speaking of Veronica, her and Robin were hitting it off in the living room section of the motorhome. Which- technically was also the kitchen and drivers seat. Robin talked about band and how she came out to Steve, which led to Veronica breaking the ice she was also into girls.

"I didn't think anyone else in Hawkins was like me." The darker girl spoke honestly, as they both chuckled nervously.

"Uh- yeah, well, it's not very easy telling people you-" Robin looked around, not realising Dustin was in ear shot. "-like girls."

The curly-haired boy nodded to himself with an 'ah.' That explains why Steve hadn't chosen Robin and was still gawking over Nancy.

"Tell me about it." Veronica threw her hands up in frustration. "Only some girls at our shelter know," she nodded over to Jax. "And him. I'm really happy he didn't care. I mean- with his dad and everything, I thought he was gonna beat me up or something."

Robin thought for a minute before turning to look at Jaxon who was still talking to Max. He didn't even know the girls were looking at him. "What's with his dad? Hopper- Hopper was nice to me." She shrugged.

"No, like- his real dad. Biological. He was a real piece of shit, used to beat on him all the time. Jax used to tell me all these stories. It was fucked up." Veronica sighed, looking over at the couple. They were smiling. Both of their worlds were about to end, and they were smiling. "I'm just happy he found her. I mean- she's what makes it all a little softer for him. When they were split up, I've never seen him that down."

Robin couldn't hold back her frown. She never knew any of Jax's past, but really she didn't know anybody's. They just kind of met and went on from there.

"We're lucky to have him. Steve is cool or whatever but Jaxon has this underlying level of relatability I just don't think Steve has which makes it easier to be around hi-" Once she caught herself randomly, Robin stopped. She let her head fall in embarrassment and chuckled. "Sorry. Sometimes my mouth just doesn't stop moving."