7. "Cya, Edwardo."

(2 weeks later)

JAX WAS sat in a trailer waving cigarette smoke out of his face. He was sat with Tommy H and Eddie Munson. Some people thought it was weird, an 8th grader hanging out with 2 seniors. Well- Eddie failed last year, but thats besides the point.

"I mean, I dunno. Does college really seem worth it?" Tommy asked, taking 3 beers out of a cooler. He tossed one to Eddie, then looked at Jax. "You want one, kid?"

Jax thought for a minute. His dad drank all the time, but he was an adult. Jaxon knew he would end up like his father, as many people had told him, so why not start now, with two people who he thought were on top of the world.

"Uh yeah, sure." He caught the can and cracked it open. Hesitantly, he took a sip, recoiling at the taste but he hid it well.
"Thanks."

"I think college is stupid." Eddie added. "I mean, why don't you just join the mary j' business with me, man?

"C'mon, you know if i get caught my dad is gonna kill me. Plus, Carol is going out of state, so I need to do something. Get my grades up or get a job. A real one." Tommy sighed, taking a long slip.

"I could do your work. For a lil bit of cash." Jax suggested.

Tommy laughed. "What, just because you put together a few equations for Eddie you think you can do my shit?"

"I know what the Pythagorean Theorem is." Jax shrugged. It was probably more than what Tommy knew, so he was hoping to sound smart. The older boy stared at him for a few seconds.

"Alright, Grazer. Name your price." Tommy kicked his feet up onto the coffee table.

"10 bucks a pop. Essays $15." Jax offered. Tommy was pretty wealthy, so it wouldn't have been that much on a difference in his wallet.

"Alright, you got yourself a deal. But they better be good, or else you're in deep shit."

"Well I wouldn't have offered if I was stupid." Jax chuckled, taking a swig of his beer. An aggressive knock was heard on the door, and Eddie got up to answer it. "Hey, if that works for you Tom, send the kid right over to me." Eddie chuckled, opening the door.

"Chief Hopper, how may I help you?" Eddie spoke through gritted teeth, hoping the two on the couch would get the memo to put out the cigs and hide the alcohol.

"Oh, just checking in." Hopper put on a face smile. "Hey, kid. C'mon, you're going home." Said Jim sternly. Jaxon sighed and stood up, walking out the door. "Cya, Edwardo."

He got in the passenger seat of the cop car, refusing to look at Hopper. He knew he shouldn't have been there, but he liked being around the older kids. Tommy, not so much, but Eddie was nice.

"Remember what happened last time I saw those guys? Hm? How I was searching them for drugs?" Hopper questioned, lighting a cigarette.

"Yep." Jax said bitterly.

"Oh, so you remember how they were in juvenile detention?" Jim continued.

"So was I." Jax sighed in a sing-songy voice.

"Yeah, and you helped me, so I got rid of that record. Those kids aren't anything but trouble? Kapeesh?" Hopper began driving to the station.

"How'd you even know I was there?" Jax asked.

"No one seen you all day, car wasn't in the driveway. This isn't the first time I've picked you up from there. I had a hunch."

"You're not my dad y'know." Jax hesitantly said. He took the chief for granted, he knew that, but he didn't want to make it seem like he needed the help.

"Yeah, believe me I know. But where is your dad when you're hanging out with those thugs? Huh? Selling faulty car parts? Leaving for the night to sleep with girls from the streets? You might not know where he goes, but I do! I'm the one who brings him home." The man raised his voice. After everything that has happened, he developed (what joyce called) a soft spot for Jax.

"Then don't next time! I dont need you doing me any favors!" Jaxon yelled back. "All you're doing is making it worse."

"He's a piece of shit but without him, you wouldn't have food. Or a house. If i put him in jail where are you gonna go? You're too bratty and stubborn for foster care." He slammed on the breaks once they reached the station. Hopper sighed, and picked up the microphone for the radio. "10-4. Chief checking in. Any issues or concerns can be reported to Officer Callahan until further notice. Over." He hooked it back up to the holster.

"What are you doing?" Jaxon asked, shifting in his seat.

"El said something about a snowball? School dance, you heard of it?"

"Yeah, yeah the snowball." Jax finally looked over at the chief. "Is she allowed to go?"

"Yeah, just this once. I talked to Dr. Owens about it. Speaking of going, it's formal, yeah?"

Jax just nodded, unsure of where he was going with this.

"Then how 'bout we go get you a new suit?" Hopper tried to hold back a smile.

"What? Are you serious?" Jaxon's eyes widened.

"What, you wanna go dress shopping?" Jim laughed at his own joke.

"No! No. I just- I thought you were mad at me." Jax explained.

"Well- y'know what? It doesn't matter. Can't go to a dance in your punk little clothes." He pulled out of the parking lot and started driving to a store. Jax sat quietly with a smile on his face the whole ride. "And don't think this is a forever thing. Strictly feel like being nice this one time." Hopper clarified.

"Yeah. Yup. Just this once. Got it." Jax nodded with pursed lips.