new book - first chapter

Please go and check out the book if you like it!

April 1963 - Etta's pov

It was cold for an April morning. I scrunched myself into a little ball under my bed sheet, my toasty warm bed sheet. Why is it when I have to get up for school my bed is the comfiest place ever?

I looked over to my side table and saw my clock had moved by 10 minutes. "Oh shit". I sprung from the bed and ran to get myself ready.

I only had one month left of school and I was about to make myself late for the first time. I couldn't wait to leave school, yeh I would miss seeing my friends every single day but they aren't going to die, I will see them again.

I just couldn't wait to start my veterinary course at college. It's the only thing that drags me down to school at the moment. If I can just pass my biology exam, I'll be well on my way.

I ran downstairs and saw the clock on the wall; I won't be late after all. I sat on the bottom step and done up my shoelaces.

"Is this you only leaving now, Juliette!?" My mother exclaimed. "If you'd left it any later you'd have been late. Don't start this, not now. You've got exams coming up and you-"

"Yes yes, I know. Don't you think I'm well aware?" I try to fight my case.

"Don't give me that tone or you can pack your bags and stay with your brother!" She seethed.

At least my brother was more laidback about stuff like this. At least he would just offer to drive me to school instead of making me walk.

"Okay, bye mum." I grab my bag and shut the door before there's more time for her to slander my poor timekeeping skills.

I make my way to school by myself, thinking in my head of 100 things I'd rather be doing than walking out in the cold right now. At least it's warm at school. The only upside.

"Lovely legs today, Juliette. Just as sexy as they were yesterday" I turn my head to look behind me and I can see a group of little gremlins (teenage boys) on the opposite side of the road.

"How charming, Todd" Todd is the boy that shouted at me. I sat next to him in history. He's a cretin.

"I'm sure I'll be seeing those legs later, perhaps lifted above your head in the boys toilets" he smirked over at me as he yelled across the street.

"Jesus Christ, don't you just wish. Now that's quite enough, thank you". I turn my head back around and smile to myself. What a brilliant come back from me.

I hear the scoffs from the boys behind me. Todd thinks every girl wants him. And that just couldn't be further from the truth. I don't even think his own mother wants him. I continue to walk, slightly faster now as to get away from Todd.

"Etta!!!" I hear someone shout in the distance as I approach the school gates. I already knew who it was.

"Maud!!!" I shout back. Maud comes skipping towards me, a smile beaming from each side of her face.