I will always love you

Noah POV

It was pitch dark when I finally got to the beach house. I spent the whole trip replaying the events of the last 48 hours in my head. And to be honest about the last week. In the depths of my being, I always wanted to fight for Elle. Virtually every battle during my time in high school had something to do with her. A guy had said something inappropriate about her and/or Lee. Another wanted to make her an easy target... All of these things had a way of making me completely disconnect. So when I told her I wanted to fight for her at the Dune, it was true! But with the struggles she was going through with Lee, I began to wonder if Harvard was really her choice? Does she need to be protected from... me? Do I love her enough to take myself out of the equation and let her be whatever she wants?

I had decided to love her enough to take me out of the equation but I broke her heart... and mine! When Lee told me that she was going to Harvard after all, I figured that maybe I didn't need to retire after all. That I could love her the way I've always wanted! Yes, I love this girl passionately and I believe I will always love her. Why not put everything in front of her? And let her choose! I deeply hoped that she would choose to forgive me!

I walked into the house and softly called his name... no answer. The living room and kitchen were deserted. I went upstairs to inspect each of the rooms. Her suitcase was in her old room but she wasn't! Fear began to take hold of me. Where is she?

I went out to the terrace and that's when I found her. Asleep on a lounge chair, wrapped in her mother's sweater with her cheeks smeared with tears! I sat on the edge of the chair calling her name and stroking her shoulder. Her arm was cold! I weighed my options: take her in my arms to carry her to her bed or sit next to her? The idea of leaving her alone in her bed was far from pleasing me so I opted to sit next to her, after covering us with a warm blanket.

As if by reflex, she snuggled up to me as a final sob crossed her lips. I couldn't help but put my arms around her and whisper in her ear:

- I'll always love you, Shelly!

Then, a peaceful sleep took me for the first time since that terrible moment at the top of that hill.