What makes you beautiful

Noah POV

Labor Day weekend was ahead of us! Elle and I both had games against Princeton on Saturday so the possibility of flying to LA was excluded. Instead, Chloe suggested that her close friends spend the weekend at her parents' vacation house in Hampton Beach. Elle and I were excited to spend some time by the sea. It announced a mild and sunny weekend at the beginning of September.

But before that, we had to play our own game. Elle's was in the afternoon, which allowed me to attend. And secretly, I was really excited at the prospect! Of course, Greg was also there in his desire to be a perfect boyfriend for the perfect Abby! To which, I could only roll my eyes. Chloe also accompanied us as a European and a fan of international football, as she never ceases to remind us American football players.

So the three of us were sitting in the student stands waiting for the game to start when we heard:
-Wow! Why do we have the honour of having the starting quarterback come to watch a women's soccer game?" says Liam, the captain of the men's soccer team.
-We have special interests in the team captain and her sidekick as you already know," Greg quickly replied, knowing full well that this guy has a knack for making me mad.

Liam didn't have time to say anything to me because the girls have entered the field. I spotted Elle accompanied by Abby. She winked at me before going to the middle of the field. This girl has a knack for turning me on instantly. Dressed in a Harvard-colored T-shirt and pair of shorts without makeup with her hair gathered in a ponytail, she looked as beautiful to me as if she were wearing a sexy dress. Chloe must have read my mind because she ran her hand in front of my face.
-What!" I said, raising my hands.
-You look at her as if she was a precious diamond! " Chloe laughed.

I laughed softly before telling her:
-That's because she is! " I said without taking my eyes off the topic of conversation.
-Oh! Who would have thought that the great Noah Flynn was such a great romantic. " Greg replied, slapping me on the shoulder.
-I think you even have drool on the edge of your mouth." Chloe said, laughing at me.
-If I can't look at my fiancée with envy, let me have the right!" I replied, trying to defend myself.
-You don't need to justify yourself, Flynn! It's just so obvious, it's funny!" Chloe said with a knowing wink at Greg.
-No one can doubt your intentions towards this girl! You have eyes for her and only her! To the great misfortune of all Harvard females!" Greg said theatrically.
-They'll get over it!" I said nonchalantly.

The game started at the same time. Harvard won the draw by lot and started in possession of the ball. Abby was in the middle of the field with the ball and automatically passed it to Elle. I was surprised how quickly these two developed chemistry considering how little time they have known each other.
- It's funny how these two make me think of a female version of the two of you! Elle often makes Greg-like remarks to me. And Abby is sometimes as cleavent as the Pretty boy" Chloe said with a laugh.

It's true that my friend Greg and my girlfriend have a lot in common. They are both closer to their emotions and push me to externalize mine. And I've seen a change in Greg since he's been dating Abby. It's as if she's pushing him to be brave, which is what my mother often told me I was having an effect on Elle.
-We've probably both found the other half that allows us to be ourselves." I said to Chloe with an implied look that she immediately recognized.
-You mean Jason and me..." she said, looking down.
-I don't know, it's up to you to tell me!" I told her, thinking that her stupid on/off boyfriend would have some lessons to learn from a committed couple like Elle and me.
-He's complicated, guys! He's an artist! You athletes can't understand!" Chloe replied with a sigh, trying to justify Jason again.
- It's not the point that he's not a sportsman, Chloe!" Greg said. "You just said that Flynn was very different from me! The point is, as the great poet Flynn just told us, if Jason is the other half that allows you to be yourself!"
- Exactly!" I said, giving Greg a hi-five.
-Take a cue from Flynn! Since Elle has been here, his mood has improved so much! One wonders why! " Greg laughed as soon as Chloe joined him.

I was flabbergasted at first when I realized the subtext behind his words but in the end I could only accompany them in this giggle.
- It's not just about sex!" I said to clarify things. "Yes, for sure I don't miss her like I did last year. But she also tends to calm down a few things in me. She gives me the opportunity to show my true self with my strengths and weaknesses without fear of being judged. She fills in my weaknesses and I fill in hers. Like two members of the same team.
- To hear you speak, Flynn, it sounds like a relationship is so easy. " Chloe told me.
- No, it's not always easy. And you're in a very good position to know, Chloe, that the relationship between Elle and I hasn't always been perfect. But if I can sum up what the dreadful summer we've been through has taught me, it's that it starts with a decision to love the other deeply. To accept one's flaws and make oneself vulnerable. To choose to team up with each other in the good and bad parts of life," I answered honestly.
-And how can we verify if the other person is such an exceptional person that you are talking about?" asked Chloe.

I've never seen Chloe as open to talking about her relationship, which I consider toxic, with this Jason as she is right now. I had an idea and wondered if Elle would be open to helping me win this argument.
- Do you feel like you'd be able to play volleyball with Jason and beat Elle and me?
- Oh, I feel like that's a challenge? But you're aware that you have a disability against Jason and me," Chloe tells me.
-Indeed, Elle is shorter than you and I don't have particularly sharp reflexes in volleyball. But, despite that, I want to team up with her! This is where we're going to see if Elle and I can compensate for each other's weaknesses. If you want to test Jason's ability to team up with you, this would be a great opportunity!
- Ok, so it's a date on the beach over the weekend!" Chloe said, holding out her hand to me.

Our attention then turned to the game. The score was tied 1-1 thanks to the teamwork of Abby and Elle. I could see that the Princeton girls were starting to be aggressive. They probably thought they would win this game easily since Harvard didn't have the reputation of having a very combative team, until today! The situation was in the process of to change thanks to my Shelly!

With 3 minutes remaining, Abby and Elle managed to get the ball up into Princeton territory. Abby was juggling the ball and made a pass to Elle to the right. She took the ball and headed for the goal, but out of nowhere, one of the Princeton defenders approached Elle and stabbed her in the leg. Elle didn't see it coming and was thrown forward, landing on her back. Since she didn't get up right away, Abby walked over to her.
The referee showed the offender a red card and awarded a penalty shot to Harvard. One minute later, Abby held out her hand to Elle to get her to stand up. She didn't seem to be seriously injured, lucky because this girl would have received my way of thinking.

Elle skated the ball towards the Princeton goal, maneuvering brilliantly past the goalkeeper. The latter made the save but with the rebound, Elle hit the ball back to her in the back of the goal. And just then, the siren announced the end of the game. The girls had won! They rushed onto the field, huddling together. We also rushed to the field to congratulate the winners. Being small, Elle was hard to spot. When the girls dispersed, I was finally able to locate Shelly! She took a run and then ended up in my arms.
-Congratulations Shelly!
-Thank you Noah!
-It was a wonderful sight to see Princeton bite the dust!" Chloe said with a laugh when she joined us.
-Now it's your turn guys to give these daddy's sons a beating!" Abby said arm in arm with Greg.
-At your command, madame! " Greg said by standing at attention.