Kuchisake-Onna (Legend/folklore)

Warning: Gore, mentions of abuse, mutilation

As a young boy, my mother always taught me to stay off the streets after dark, unless I want Kuchisake-Onna to kill me.

Kuchisake-Onna was an old legend passed down from the elders.

A beautiful woman lived in a small village with her husband, a samurai. Everyone was in awe of her beauty, children often passed her and complemented the woman. Soon, the husband grew more and more distant due to some affairs in his line of work, leaving the woman lonely and sad. Soon she started having affairs with men around the village. When her husband heard of this, he confronted her and decided to punish her for her adultery.

He grabbed his sword and slit her mouth from ear to ear. Before he left her to bleed to death because of her injuries, he said "Let's see if anyone will find you beautiful now.". Now her vengeful spirit seeks young men in order to trap them and kill them.

First she asked them if they find her beautiful, whether they say yes or no, she takes off her mask and asks her question yet again. No matter if it is 'yes' or 'no', she will slit your mouth with a knife or a pair of scissors. The only way to avoid her cruel infliction of torture, you must reply that she is average, confusing her long enough for you to run or distract her with money or candies.

It was a silly story but I guess it exists for a reason...

I sighed as I stared at the puddle beneath me. It was raining heavily and I was waiting for a bus to stop so I could go home. The weather has been like this for weeks and I was tired from it. I looked deep into a puddle, my reflection showed my straight face, eyes empty and mouth slightly frowning.

Suddenly a woman in a red dress and long black hair showed in the reflection. I whipped my head around and saw a woman, her eyes dark and her hair wet from all the rain. I didn't know who she was, why she didn't have an umbrella, what is she doing.

"Am I beautiful?" I paused "W-w-what?" I asked, surprised. "Am I beautiful?" she sounded out every letter and sound asking me such a question. I didn't answer, I stood still, my eyes wide and my mouth agape.

She slowly pulled off her mask and grinned widely "Am I beautiful?" she asked once more. My face went pale and I screamed. Her mouth....was slit. As I turned to run I felt her cold hand grab my wrist and pull me back.

She held a knife and rested it on my left cheek. Suddenly I felt a stinging in my neck. I reached up to my neck and looked down. Blood painted my hand and my head felt faint. I couldn't scream.

"Shhhhh..." she held the knife next to my cheek and sliced and stabbed until my mouth was sliced from ear to ear. I gurgled and writhed in pain. I should have reacted quicker. Her words echoed in my mind....until....

All black...