Chapter 7: A STRANGE ECOUNTER

The New York Sanctum

Wanda sat in silence, observing Strange pouring her a cup of coffee. Something about him felt off. Maybe it was just her thoughts running wild again, maybe she really was becoming a paranoid "schizophrenic" case, but everyone's reaction to her mentioning him had to mean something. Strange sat opposite of her, taking a sip of coffee, examining her uncomfortable face. She gave a brief smile and kept quiet. The lights in the room weren't lit up either, making the situation even more uncomfortable. There were so many questions on her mind, but for some reason, she was too afraid to speak.

Doctor Strange: So.

She jumped slightly as he spoke. She had no idea why she felt so unsettled. Perhaps more uncertainty than anything else. But she could feel that same type of fear in her. That kind of fear she knows very well by now.

Doctor Strange: You're probably wondering why I wasn't there tonight.

Wanda: Y-Yes...

But he wasn't the only one not present at the wedding. Logan (Wolverine) wasn't there either. She kept that to herself for the time being, wanting to hear what Strange had to say.

Doctor Strange: I'm sorry I couldn't make it. Something very urgent came to my attention and I couldn't let it wait. You know how it is.

She responded back hesitantly. Lying to ease the tension.

Wanda: No worries, I understand.

Doctor Strange: Oh and by the way, you look stunning.

She felt self aware by the compliment about her wedding dress, and it definitely did not do anything to ease the tension.

Wanda: Thanks. Pietro got it made for me.

There was another long silence, both of them looking at each other, Strange taking another sip.

Doctor Strange: Is there something I can help you with?

Wanda became very cautious immediately after that question. That wasn't something she thought he would say to her. Especially not now that they're good friends. Not after Strange relived her life and inherited a part of her very essence. Not after what they've been through together. (*Read "Avengers Incursion War" for context)

Wanda: Oh it's... Nothing I was just... I was worried about you that's all.

...

Wanda: Why are the lights off?

Doctor Strange: Oh, I'm not used to having the lights on in the middle of the night.

He waved his fingers and lit up all the candles in the sanctum.

Doctor Strange: Why were you worried about me?

Wanda: It's just that you weren't there and nobody wanted to tell me why.

Doctor Strange: I see.

Wanda: Do you know why that is?

Doctor Strange: I can sense your unease, you know. Why are you so afraid?

Wanda: It's been a long day...

Doctor Strange: Come on, Wanda. I thought we're friends. You don't have to feel afraid to speak to me.

She gulped and tried to suppress her unease.

Wanda: Okay... I'm just confused... I feel like I'm being left in the dark about something horrible, something from nightmares... and everyone else seems too afraid to tell me.