Chapter 2 The withered blossom tree

The Imperial Palace gleamed under the coming spring’s sun, as the snow gradually melted and flowers slowly came to bloom. Its grandeur forever seen, red pillars and golden roofs with dragon carvings seen for miles.

In the Grand Imperial Hall lied a red carpet that separated the scholar ministers from the military officials, be it high-ranking or low-ranking to either side, leading up the golden stairs to the highest seat in the room.

In the presence of he who occupies the golden dragon seat, the court meeting proceeded. His Majesty, Emperor Feng, dressed in his official black robe embroidered with gold and silver threads and decorated with an imposing dragon image at the front and back that made his aura even more potent, sat back and watched as his ministers bickered over the recent news that shock the Imperial Court.

Crown Prince wore a less imposing but equally luxurious official robe and stood two steps from the Emperor’s throne; his face impassive to the current topic.

“Your Majesty, this minister agrees with Minister Jiang and thinks that it would be good for Crown Prince to be part of the war as a show of power and as a morale boost for the army. However, with recent events it is clear that Duan was fully prepared for war. Crown Prince is the hope of Great Jin. Risking his life would be detrimental to us.”

Another three ministers came forward in unison, “I second this. Please Your Majesty rethink this decision.”

A military official from the first column, signifying he was of high-ranking took a step forward and bowed, “Your Majesty, His Highness Crown Prince, allow me to argue against Minister He’s proposition.”

“Go ahead, General of the Southwest Jiang.” Crown Prince answered.

General Jiang turned to face Minister He and the other scholar ministers in favor of his idea. “Minister He, let me ask you. How do you know that we are not prepared for this war? As the minister of rites how do you know that we don’t have the power and capability to defeat Duan and recover our lost cities?”

Minister He was left speechless and angered by this embarrassment. “Let this court know that not only do we have the capability to defeat Duan, but also subdue them to the ground to vent our anger!”

“General of the Southwest, if we are so capable then how did we lose Ji, Muliang and An which are high value in the course of our trade routes?” Another scholar minister asked haughtily.

“Your Majesty, if I may answer Minister Sun’s question. The reason behind our defeat was the corruption on this Imperial Court!”

The ministers gasped at the young man’s accusation. “Commandant Jiang, you are but a commandant of the Jiang’s army’s west flank calvary. How dare you act so unruly before His Majesty?”

Commandant Jiang scoffed, “Minister Hong, do you not fear for your life anymore? Before His Majesty I dare not speak lies. Do you have such an oath, and dare to reveal the truth to His Majesty?”

Minister Hong, Ministers of Works and Transport, was bold before but now he wasn’t so sure. Did this small commandant truly know of his treacherous deeds?

Just like his cousins, Commandant Jiang was cold and calculating in his choice of words, making him a fearsome foe.

“Minister Hong, do you know of what Commandant Jiang is talking about?” Crown Prince asked, keenly observing Minister Hong’s slight tremors and fearful eyes.

Minister Hong regained his calm and graceful composure and took a step forward to reveal himself. He bowed and spoke clearly, “Your Majesty, Your Highness Crown Prince, this minister does not know of what Commandant Jiang is speaking of. Please order an investigation and give punishment were deserved.”