Chapter 3 A new chess piece

After the short journey, the carriage pulled to a stop at Lan Yun Tea House. Jiang Wei observed from the high window in the restaurant's third floor private room, the most luxurious and highest room in the restaurant.

His guest was here, he said to himself, another gentle breeze meeting his face in smooth caress.

Spring was coming, but winter still clung to the land, bringing a beautiful scenery to the eye. Fluffy white clouds above and fluffy warm snow beneath, it made Jiang Wei want to write a poem.

A young man, his face covered by a white veil attached to a straw hat, got off the courage with poise and grace of a scholar.

Without much thought he entered the tea house, and Jiang Wei seemed to be relaxed more.

A few moments later, Jiang Wei shifted his stance upon hearing shuffling feet outside his room's door. "This way, Young Master."

"Thank you." The young man said as the doors opened in front of him. He entered and the server immediately closed the door behind him, giving the young men some privacy.

"Was the veil necessary, Official Bai?" Jiang Wei said with an eye roll as he settled himself at his seat.

Director Bai, otherwise Bai Yuan Qi, chuckled as he took off his veil, "Your clever cousins have already started taking action. I basically had to sneak here to meet you!"

Jiang Wei sighed, "That may be my fault, but don't worry I'll take care of it."

Bai Yuan Qi raised a brow in query, "Ooh, and why is it your fault? What happened?"

Jiang Wei went ahead to explain how he accidentally revealed that he knew Vermillion Bird General would save Ji province.

Bai Yuan Qi huffed, "Why did you reveal you knew such confidential information?"

He asked as he poured tea for them. "Don't lecture me, alright? Besides, it's engraved in me because it was part of my plan. I knew His Majesty cares a lot of matters of the Empress, so to have her hometown under the control of Duan would not likely stay for long. Since Vermillion Bird General had saved Lord of Ji, as I had arranged, I knew that he would task him with saving Ji province."

Jiang Wei said casually as he went ahead to drink his hot tea. Bai Yuan Qi smiled, "Alright, onto other matters. Your performance today was indeed incredible. While everyone thinks that I stole your moment, what they don't know is that you arranged it all. However, your cousins easily got suspicious for they have already began to investigate me. They don't like that you used yourself as bait so that I could do a more detailed investigation on Minister Hong. And you were right, Minister Jiang has been aiding Minister Hong all these years. That's the only reason why he stayed at court without being discovered for so long."

Jiang Wei nodded; his suspicions confirmed. Minister Jiang was setting foundation in order to put someone on the Imperial Throne. But who did he have in mind? Himself, or someone else?

"So far we have enough evidence to prove that Minister Jiang is preparing to dethrone the Emperor? I mean secret military conscription, buying the scholar officials, hording wealth. It is very obvious so why are we not doing anything about it?"

Jiang Wei smirked, "Who said we aren't?" While Bai Yuan Qi pretended he didn't know of Jiang Wei's ambitions, he once thought himself mistaken when Jiang Wei offered to combine forces secretly against the Jiang family.

However, his suspicions are slowly being regenerated. Jiang Wei spoke, "Don't worry. I know my cousins. After my slip-up they will definitely try to test me. We will not be able to communicate like before, but should anything arise I will find a way to communicate."