Chapter 24 Plans and Ambitions

A carriage slowly made its way through the woodland valley as it came close to a medium sized gate with a number of guards dressed in light orange garments and sheathed swords firm in their grasp. The guards who were previously guarding diligently were found ensnared by the presence of the unannounced guest. They quickly reached out for their swords and tightly held the hilts as they stared intently at the incoming carriage. The carriage made a smooth stop in front of the gate and one of the guards quickly called out, Who goes there? The bodyguard who was driving the carriage did not respond, making the guards turn to each other in confusion, and instead made his way to set up the stepping stool for the master (owner/boss) in the carriage. It was then that the gate guards recognized the symbol on the carriages lantern to be that of Cloud Weaving Sect of Anyang Prefecture. Cloud Weaving Sect was renowned for being similar with Sunset River Sect in terms of not getting involved with matters of the Jianghu unless necessary hence it was ever a great yet worrisome honor to have Cloud Weaving Sect visit Sunset River Sect. The bodyguard said with a gentle voice, Mistress, we have arrived. The young lady in the carriage alighted the carriage with grace and poise, her face half-covered with a red veil and her hair adorned with various precious jewels and ornaments. Her clothes seemed to be woven out of clouds as they seemed soft and light as she walked, and the guards were left speechless.

The young lady looked around the valley and the gate to Sunset River Sect and said with much awe, So this is Jingting Valley. The bodyguard nodded, Mistress, we must make haste. The young lady scoffed, You are so bossy. Maybe you should have taken this mission instead. The bodyguard retreated, Mistress must be joking. Mistress is the direct disciple of the Lord. I am but a humble swordsman who was tasked with staying with Mistress. I am undeserving of such honor. The young lady sighed, Enough of this. Lets go. The two walked towards the gate and stopped before the flight of stairs where the gate guards stood watch. Greetings good sirs. We are from Cloud Weaving Sect and my lady, Young Lady Feng, wishes to see your Teacher. The guards recognized Young Lady Feng as Feng Yan, adopted daughter of Temporary Sect Master Qiu Xianqi. The guards immediately bowed and said with respect. Young Lady Feng, forgive us for being rude and not recognizing you. This disciple will immediately inform Master (Shifu/Teacher) about your arrival. At the moment Master is in a meeting and wont be accepting guests. Please wait in the side hall until more instructions are given. The young lady nodded and said, Thats alright. The guard smiled as he directed Feng Yan and her bodyguard into the sect.

It was midnight and the wind was blowing strongly against the tents, alerting Jiang Wei from his reading and becoming aware of his surroundings. It is late. I must rest early for tomorrow lest something goes wrong. Jiang Wei held back from saying anything ominous because even though he was not a believer of any fantastical notions like gods and fate, he did have a feeling that his journey would not be easy. Suddenly, a movement was heard from outside the tent and Jiang Wei became cautious and with murderous look in his eyes. Young Master, Wu Xin has something to report. Jiang Wei calmed and said, Come in. Wu Xin was dressed in the colors of the Jiang army as he was instated as Jiang Weis consultant and adviser. Ye Qi dealt in depth regarding matters of Taishan Hall and only appeared before Jiang Wei when things needed replanning or guidance. What happened? Wu Xin spoke firmly, Replying to Lieutenant, something has happened in the capital. His Majesty had a talk with Jiang Jing and it seems that His Majesty has plans of keeping Jiang Jing in his position. Jiang Wei did not seem surprised by this, making Wu Xin ask, Did Young Master already foresee this? Jiang Wei shook his head, I didnt. Although I can understand His Majestys train of thought. Lord of Ji has just come back, and with great merits too. Lord of Ji is expected to take office as the Minister of War which, considering the current situation, is a very expectant and sensitive position which could either make or break Lord of Ji. His Majesty values balance, so he needs someone to keep Lord of Ji and Chief Minister Ci at per so that Chief Minister Ci is not too affluent or Lord of Ji too influential. Only my dear Cousin Brother Jing can do that. Wu Xin was conflicted as he half understood and half confused, So that does mean that His Majesty trust Jiang Jing now, and that First Young Masters plans have all been in vain? Jiang Wei was also unsure of this matter and said, My Elder Brother was a bit too rush in using the forces of the Blood Sacrifice Organization and has made known that Blood Sacrifice Organization has a strongly sufficient stronghold in Wuling. I promised not to interfere unless matters are dire. As for what Jiang Rong and Yin Chao are planning, as long as it doesnt affect our affairs, we will not intrude. For now lets see how it goes. If His Majesty has chosen to tame the wolf with a tiger is something only time can tell. After a while, Jiang Wei asked, Is there anything else? Wu Xin nodded, Yes. We still havent heard from Liangzhou or Liangdong. Is Lieutenant sure of going there? What if Jiang Wei nodded, Dont say more. No matter what, I must go to Liangdong.