CHAPTER 17 The real performance act

As Madam Jiang made her way to the port followed closely by the guards from the Jiang and Ren residences, she held close to no expectation of whom the boat might be carrying.

Not to mention that she had unresolved grievances regarding Lady Chu, Madam Jiang was in a terribly foul mood and was in no position to act courteously to whoever had what once belonged to her father, Old Master Yang, an adviser from the previous Xiao family dynasty. In the early years, the title of Grand Tutor (Imperial Teacher who teaches the royal family) was competed for by the Guo, Yang and Song family.

Old Master Yang had a great reputation as the study partner of the posthumously celebrated Azure Emperor and was recognized to be the current Emperor’s grand tutor. However, as things would be, Old Master Yang died of illness and his position went to Chancellor Guo as Old Master Song had already retired from officialdom.

In her heart, Yang Mi always suspected that the Guo family was involved in foul play behind her father’s death and were likely behind Minister Song’s retirement. This was once of the reasons she disliked the Guo family members, including Madam Song. Marrying Jiang Jing and befriending Jiang Ru Yi only made it more convenient for her to express her spite under the guise of supporting her marital family’s adversaries and allies.

Now with the additional spite against Lady Chu who came with another enemy Madam Song, Madam Jiang’s patience was truly wearing thin. Madam Jiang’s curiosity still lied on why Abbot Tao Ming was there at that moment. Although Madam He’s words made sense, Madam Jiang felt hellbent to looking carefully into the matter and not to take this abbot’s appearance casually.

Out of the madams’ present, only Crown Princess could recognize Abbot Tao Ming despite having his face covered. While Her Highness’ reason for saying so also added up, in fact Abbot Tao Ming had only arrived in the capital on the days of Second Prince’s wedding, and with the events that followed after many noble women sought abbots and holy monks to help them pray for the New Year, yet Abbot Tao Ming always turned them down, making him highly sought after and his fame to spread in the capital.

Despite all this, Abbot Tao Ming only agreed to Crown Princess’ request and entered the palace. All this did not sit well with Madam Jiang. As a woman, she knew the extents any woman would go to in order to get what she wants, so, Crown Princess’ efforts no matter how tedious were a reflection of such a temperament.

First, it was Crown Princess exhausting majority of her means to getting Abbot Tao Ming to the palace. Then, it was Crown Princess attending the Lu Ming Lake Banquet for the first time which even surprised the hostess Madam Ren. Now, it was this matter of Lady Chu and Abbot Tao where she was the one who pointed out that it was him. Were all these matters foreseen by her or were they just coincidences?

Madam Jiang went ahead to recall Madam Jing’s words from earlier, I swear by my daughter’s life that I only found this letter in my carriage on the way here. My daughter and I came by different carriages as she had gone early to Yunxiao river for the river ceremonial ritual, so she has no idea about this matter.

Could everything have truly been predicted before they even happened?

It was at this moment that Madam Jiang had realized that she had unluckily fallen for a trap set out by others, and she would soon realize the consequence of her actions.

Crown Princess’ attendance today would not be without reason, and she happen to help her create one.

In a room in the first floor of Lu Ming Lake Pavilion, Abbot Tao sat with one of the performers from Xi Hai Tang Troupe, his face expressionless and unreadable even as he spoke with calm and poise, “This Young Leader is content that Xi Hai Tang Troupe was able to make thee journey here at such short notice. You good people have truly worked hard.”