Chapter 25 Intentions

Inside the confines of the private cellar, two women sat in silence facing each other with indescribable tension crackling in the air around them. Concubine Shang went ahead and smiled with malicious sparkle in her eyes as she said with spite, Are you here to laugh at me and mock me? That justice has finally caught up with me and that I will finally pay for my wrongdoings? Let me remind you that it is you that has lost. Your daughter is dead, Gao Hunnian. I have won. First Madam Gao remained solemn as she spoke, Are you sure? Are you sure that you have won? Shang Xi Wu, do you think I dont know of your real intentions? Concubine Shang raised an eyebrow questioningly, What does the Almighty daughter of the Gao family think she knows? First Madam Gao casually reached out to her sleeve and removed a piece of paper and passed it on to Concubine Shang without saying a word. Concubine Shang sneakered as she picked the paper and while opening it said haughtily, Why being so dramatic, pretending to know everything Concubine Shang was startled into shutting up upon reading the contents written in the letter. Her eyes widened as she remembered the words she whispered to Nanny Qi, Seek that man. Make sure he knows what to do. Concubine Shang turned to meet First Madam Gaos cold gaze and said with a low tone, How did you get this? First Madam Gao shook her head, Why are you asking such a foolish question? Of course Nanny Qi told me. Concubine Shang shook her head violently, Impossible. Nanny Qi is missing. I havent heard of her since the incident. First Madam Gao said with annoying calm, Indeed. She had gone into hiding upon hearing that I was searching the city for her. In the end, she chose to reveal herself as she came to me with a proposition. Concubine Shang held a confused expression, What do you mean? First Madam Gao reached out and passed on another paper to her, to which Concubine Shang crumbled open. First Madam Gao spoke, I know that you have an impressive contact in Ji Yuan Sect and it is him who shot the arrow towards me daughter. I want you to give me his name.

The paper in Concubine Shangs hand read, Concubine Shang bought the poison from Ji Yuan Sects black-market business. She has the intention of poisoning Ling Wei Xin. Concubine Shang laughed angrily as she threw the paper at the table, Did Nanny Qi tell you this as well? Pft. You always think yourself all knowing that you dont see how foolish you are being. How can I possibly know a name of a man I never met? You are too funny, Gao Hunnian. First Madam Gao sighed as she took the paper and said, Do you want to know what Nanny Qi proposed to me that ultimately made her tell me all these things? Concubine Shang did not respond but was curious to know. Seeing as Concubine Shang was too proudful to agree that she indeed was curious, First Madam Gao smirked, No matter, Ill just tell you anyway. Nanny Qi wanted to take full responsibility and die for your mistakes on the account that I ensure that you are acquitted as you had no intention of killing my daughter. Concubine Shang scoffed, What a stupid servant. How can she think that you will agree to such outrageous terms? If anyone, it is you who would enjoy the thought of my death the most. Am I wrong, Hunnian? First Madam Gao nodded, I agree that you do have a point. However, I actually did agree to her terms as I am not thinking of myself right now but of Ling Ding An and the Ling family. Ultimately, I have thought of the bigger picture and only by your son having your support can he take over the Shang family business and my son Ding Xu can finally return to me. Moreover, I have no intention of allowing those with evil intentions to destroy the hefty relationship the Ling family has built with the Shang family. This isnt me being magnanimous, but me seeing the greater outcome of all of this and opting to be more lenient.

Concubine Shang couldnt see anything wrong with what First Madam Gao had said, and instead it made her remember her biggest reason for living. The reason why she could not give up and just accept death but instead strive to live longer. Concubine Shang spoke after a short period of silence, So, what do you want with me now? First Madam Gao spoke, I want you to choose between life and death. Between choosing that man who you sent Nanny Qi to inform or your son. If you choose wisely, I, Gao Hunnian, promise to ensure you live a full life. Whether it will be in the dungeons or with your son is up to you. Concubine Shang frowned and said with restrain, You dont understand, Hunnian. I really dont know his name. I do not deny that a do know a man who I also estimate that e is from Ji Yuan Sect. He approached me and asked me if I was looking for poison. I agreed and he sold me the poison. He told me if I wanted more poison to contact him through an old apothecary. I sent Nanny Qi to get more poison from him so I could kill Ling Wei Xin again. I didnt send anyone against Ling Wei Qian. First Madam Gaos countenance twisted with great displeasure and spoke deeply, Did you really not hire someone to shoot at my daughter? Believe me, Shang Xi Wu, if I find out that you are lying then dont blame me for being ruthless. I wont spare your son or the Shang family. Understand? Concubine Shang retreated in her chair, having been taken slightly aback, but she said with sad calm, I have no intention to lie. Gao Hunnian, does Ding An know about all of this? First Madam Gao said, I couldnt hide it from him even if I tried. He is very repentant and is constantly guarding Qianers memorial tablet as a way to make up for you and Wei Xins mistakes. I couldnt stop him so I asked Ding Mu to stay with him. Upon hearing such saddening news, Concubine Shangs eyes softened with tears and upset that she did not dare to look at First Madam Gao in the eyes. First Madam Gao noticed this and said, I will give you an ultimatum, Shang Xi Wu. If you can find a way to get me that mans name, I will ensure your and your sons survival. I am giving you two days. If not, then consider this a prior warning. Just because Ling Ding An is Ling Guzhous son doesnt mean I wont find a way for him to get rid of him. I hope you put all your effort into getting this information, at least for your sons sake if not anything else.