Chapter 12 His Majesty

In the Phoenix Palace, the Emperor, Empress and Crown Prince were expected to have a meal together in the Empress’ Phoenix Garden. Although it was not as lively and bright as the Eastern Palace, it was serene and calming with a view of tall, green grass swinging in the wind. Empress spoke to her lady-in-waiting as a train of maids filed into the courtyard and orderly put everything in place, “Court Lady Gong, where is Crown Prince right now?”

Court Lady Gong replied, “Answering Her Majesty, His Highness Crown Prince and His Majesty are on their way here as we speak.”

Empress brightened with a wide smile, turning to Court Lady Gong, “Really? That’s great. I thought they were going to send excuses that they are held up by official matters. I am very happy.”

Court Lady Gong smiled as well, “Your Majesty prepared his lunch since yesterday, naturally His Majesty and His Highness Crown Prince wouldn’t let Your Majesty’s efforts go to waste. Your Majesty has not prepared a family luncheon for a long time, this humble servant is happy to see Your Majesty so vibrant and full of vitality.”

Empress Yin smiled more and agreed, “Needless to say, I am feeling more energetic today compared to before. I’m glad my illness was nothing serious, else Ju’er wouldn’t be able to go to war with an eased and clear mind. I believe in Ju’er’s martial arts and wisdom, this war with definitely be squashed by my dear son.”

Court Lady Gong spoke, “Crown Prince is a master of pen and sword, this humble servant believes His Highness will return to Your Majesty healthy and triumphant.” Empress Yin nodded, “May it be so.” Before putting her palms together and praying, “Amitabha. May Buddha protect Ju’er always.”

Court Lady Gong observed and said nothing. As much as Court Lady Gong was delighted to see her mistress regained her lost vibrance and energy, she couldn’t help but worry if this was a temporary phase to ensure Crown Prince won’t worry about her and go to war with a reassured mindset. What if all this was a farce and Empress’ health might deteriorate even more when His Highness’ leaves?

Court Lady Gong couldn’t resist the fearful thought. “Court Lady Gong, did you hear me? Why is your head in the clouds today?” Empress Yin questioned, seeming annoyed yet worried.

Court Lady Gong bowed, “This humble servant was thinking about Crown Princess and didn’t listen to Empress. Please, Your Majesty, punish as you see fit.” Empress Yin’s face folded a bit in confusion, “Crown Princess? Why were you thinking of her? Did something happen?”

Court Lady Gong hesitated, afraid of being heard by outsiders and implicating Her Majesty by saying her real thoughts. Reality was that Court Lady Gong held great prejudice against Crown Princess Ouyang due to certain matters of the past and didn’t like her very much. Court Lady Gong had also observed that Crown Prince and Crown Princess did not have each other in their hearts and this somewhat made Court Lady Gong feel surer about her instinct against Crown Princess.

These, however, were only Court Lady Gong’s thoughts and she didn’t say them out loud, and instead said calmly, “It’s just that Her Highness is taking care of Prince Xuan and hardly goes out or invites anyone unlike before when she was a newlywed. This humble servant finds her to be sad and unenergetic, therefore this servant thought in silence and did not dare tell Your Majesty.”

Empress Yin smiled, taking Court Lady Gong’s hands into hers, “A’Yue, you put everyone’s need before your own and take care of me and the harem. You truly work hard and you have indeed suffered.” Court Lady Gong, Gong Yue, was touched by Her Majesty calling her by her nickname she began to have tears in her eyes, “Not at all, Your Majesty. This humble servant cares deeply for Your Majesty. Your Majesty’s needs and wants are naturally mine to fulfil. Your Majesty need not be so courteous with this humble servant.”