Chapter 15 Expectations and rewards.

In Wuling, the Imperial Capital, many things had happened come dawn. There was a sudden surge of chaos and disarray of business transactions among the shops owned by the Jiang family, and one that faced the most disturbance was the silk weaving and selling shops.

As it would be, there were complaints regarding the cloths bought from these shops, and the shops were facing threats from various women nobles and civil offices. These past few days, the cloths being bought from the Jiang’s Silk Shops were either filled with holes or caused skin irritation which was itchy and ruined one’s skin.

All these allegations were brought to the attention of one of the overseeing managers, Boss Chu. Boss Chu was a woman of business who had long been in the clothing business even before Jiang Jing poached her to work as his direct subordinate which was considered very prestigious. She was still in her late twenties and was widowed three years ago and left with one son, Chu Qi.

Her husband was a scholar and desired to enter officialdom but before he could do anything significant he died of illness. Jiang Jing who wanted to recruit her husband, instead saw her great business skills and recruited her instead so she could earn income for herself and her son.

Boss Chu stood straight with poise and grace in front of Jiang Jing who was surveying the reports regarding the sudden incident that he hadn’t foreseen.“Sir, this incident is not something that started today. From my observation, this has been planned since about two weeks ago since we received the shipment of new silk batches from Xi Hua. The situation is also worsening, as other shops are facing sudden decrease in business ventures. If this goes on, we might lose almost 70% of our profit. We might not be able to afford keeping business running.”

Jiang Jing, in a fit of anger, threw the reports away and cleared his table of everything, but Boss Chu remained calm and affected. Jiang Jing looked at her, his eyes reddening with anger, and slowly took steps towards her, “Chu Sisi, why are you calm? Explain yourself, else do not blame me for finding you responsible for this ordeal!” Jiang Jing boomed, his face red and his temple covered with protruding veins.

Despite this scene, Chu Sisi remained calm and answered, “Replying to Sir, I have a thought. This has something to do with your official work. Someone capable of doing this sort of damage within a few weeks is not someone ordinary. As of this time, even if we find enough money to restock, the silkworm farmers are facing a shortage and won’t be able to deliver till the next six months because of the war. Large and productive silkworm farms are in Ji and Xi province, the largest of them being in Ji province. Considering the situation now, I think you should close down business and wait this out.”

Jiang Jing froze in place and stared at the unmoving, seemingly unbreathing, Chu Sisi. “What did you just say?” Jiang Jing asked in a breathy tone.Calmly inhaling, Boss Chu spoke, “As it is, you are targeted by your enemies in court. This is no ordinary matter. Considering the scale, this might as well be the great man’s intention. If you continue operating and carrying out business as usual, then Sir, this will be considered a small thing compared to what will happen next. By letting go of the businesses temporarily, you are giving them what they want for now. The carrot and stick strategy. Retreat is also a way of advancing. You, Sir, know this best.”

Jiang Jing inhaled deeply, calming himself and allowing his mind to accept reason. Chu Sisi, Boss Chu, was right. Lately, a lot of things had happened and he was considered a walking target due to his growing power and influence. If things were as Boss Chu had said, then this was his only way of survival.

Jiang Jing, defeated, took a few steps from Boss Chu and returned back to his seat. “Go and make arrangements. Until the new shipments of silk and gold arrive from Xihua and Liang respectively, we shall not open shops. I still have a lot of money banked, so we won’t face bankruptcy. Boss Chu can handle everything with an eased mind.”