Chapter 10 The Imperial Palace

After the court was dismissed, noise ensued as the officials went on to be at ease with each other. The Jiang cousins walked, speaking amongst themselves, and a few steps behind them was Chancellor Guo and his grandson Director Bai. While everything went according to plan, Jiang Wei’s plan, Chancellor Guo had yet to understand Jiang Wei’s intentions.

He spoke as though he was having a monologue, “This man, what is his intention?”

Director Bai heard this but said nothing, just looking at Jiang Wei’s figure. Chancellor Guo slowed down, turning to face Director Bai, “Young one, you told me that the young commandant of the Jiang family told you this would happen and to discuss with me. Why do you think he did that?”

Yuan Qi bowed from the waist and saluted respectfully before delving in, “Grandfather, even I still don’t know his intention. Maybe, he’s seeking your support for a big thing. For what I have heard, Taishan Hall and Tianji Pavilion are forming an alliance. It could be someone related to this matter.”

Chancellor Guo turned confused, “What does the young commandant and Taishan Hall have to do with each other?”

Yuan Qi shook his head, “It is not clear to me either. All I know is that he is a key player for the Taishan Hall Master.”

Chancellor Guo took in a deep breath, pondering on a thought for a moment. "These days, martial arts sects are slowly getting involved in political matters. Who knows what troubles this will bring to our dynasty." He then turned and continued to walk, and he said, “Now that I’m on house arrest, and so is Jiang Jing, I wonder; what will happen in the Capital?”

Yuan Qi thought he understood his grandfather chancellor’s worries, however Chancellor Guo was not worried at all. He was expectant.“Chancellor Guo, can we have a talk before you leave?”

Chief Minister Ci spoke from behind, prompting the two to turn. Yuan Qi immediately excused himself, “I have business to finish at the Censorate of Judicature and Revision. Please, my elders, excuse me.” Yuan Qi bowed before he walked alone, leaving the two high officials.

The two walked, their destination the Office of Bureaucracy. Once in the private space of Chief Minister Ci’s office, Chancellor Guo spoke, still standing, “Chief Minister Ci, What do you call me here for?”

Ci Han Li was previously the Agriculture Minister before having a skyrocketing promotion to Chief Minister Of Bureaucracy three years ago. As the Office of Bureaucracy delt with matters of the ministry of revenue and agriculture, it was later realized that he was indeed fit for the job. Ci Han Li did not form cliques, was shrewd and unreadable but he was still loyal. Chancellor Guo didn’t have any problems with him.

“Chancellor Guo, we are still colleagues after all. Sit, have some tea.” Chief Minister Ci said with a smile on his face. Seeing no reason to refuse, Chancellor Guo sat down, but didn’t touch the pot of tea close to him. Chief Minister Ci laughed when he noticed this, but didn’t insist on it. “Alright. Chancellor Guo, I know you dislike beating around the bush. So, allow me to get down to business. I…”

Chancellor Guo interrupted, his face serious, “If it has anything to do with the topic you brought forward today, I’m afraid I cannot help you. The Department of State Affairs is His Majesty’s territory. For you to carelessly bring it up in front of His Highness Crown Prince, do you no longer fear losing your position?”

Chief Minister Ci laughed, more of a short breathy laugh, before answering, “Chancellor Guo. I know my position is not as stable as yours. A veteran of the imperial court, a man of high status and influence. Chancellor Guo, I can’t do what you did today, risk your position just to bring your nemesis back to reality.”