Chapter 19 World and Its People are Ruthless

The capital was vibrant and vivacious due to the Double Third Festival's night party. The night market was flooded with many new and fun things, and many troupes were performing on the roads, playing with water and fire and creating spectacular scenes. Lin Lang stared from inside the carriage, her eyes gleaming with awe and wonder, making Gaoshang Xi'er laugh gently. Despite her earlier show of energy and liveliness, Gaoshang Xi'er was sickly pale and lacked vitality and appetite.

For the moment, Gaoshang Xi'er felt fine and she even laughed at the scenes Lin Lang was narrating to her alongside Lin Lang, but later she felt a tight knot in her chest which made her cough. Gaoshang Xi'er coughed viciously, and upon looking at the handkerchief in her hand, she saw a dark patch of blood had stained her light green cloth. Lin Lang asked with concern, "Xi'er. Are you alright?"

Gaoshang Xi'er shook her head, folding her handkerchief so Lin Lang couldn't see it, "I'm a bit nervous to meet the Jin Emperor that I am even chocking on my own laughter. I am truly done for."

Lin Lang narrowed her eyes in jest and said, "You are such a joker. It is me who should be afraid of meeting that lofty Emperor, not you. Besides, you are the most eloquent woman I know, this is no trouble for you."

Gaoshang Xi'er nodded, "Lang'er speaks the truth. Alright, I am not nervous anymore. Look out more, tell me what else you see." Lin Lang did so without question, and with Lin Lang not looking at her anymore, Gaoshang Xi'er looked down as she told herself without question, "I wont last long."

When Gaoshang Xi'er was attacked in Liang, she was struck with a poisonous needle which took effect days after she had been struck. Knowing Ji Yuan sects ruthless nature, Gaoshang Xi'er knew that the poison would only show symptoms after it had reached the heart. She was unlikely to make it through tonight.

The missions entourage entered through the West City Gate, which was the most crowded part of the capital, and calmly travelled to the palace. Lord of Ji was riding a horse, dressed in a dark cloak which hid his expensive clothes, and he stopped in front of the palace gate.

First Commandant Tang, who was in charge tonight for this same reason, recognized his cousin from a mile away and cleared the way for him, ordering the guards under his command to open the palace gates.

The simple company of Lin Lang, Gaoshang Xi'er and Yin Chao entered the palace.

In the Imperial study, His Majesty and Empress Yin who were still dressed in royal, official robes, as they were when seeing off Crown Prince, sat there in wait while simultaneously going through the war reports coming in from the war-plagued regions namely Ji province and Muliang province.

A new report came in from Mulan town where General of the Northwest Fang had set camp against Zhi Pang's Northern Flank, and it said about having lost a close ten thousand men when trying to recover Muliang city and desperate need for reinforcements as the enemy army is trying to once again attack and as well seize back Mulan town.

Empress Yin sighed, "Do you think the 100,000 Jiang army soldiers will be of help to General of the Northwest?"

His Majesty said, "If it wasn't enough, Zhen wouldn't have sent our son there. Dont worry, Zhen has it all planned."

Empress Yin could only remain silent and allow herself to believe His Majesty's words. Empress Yin took another report, one His Majesty had already gone through, and it was from Vermillion Bird General reporting that they have joined forces with the locals of Bing province and they will likely have a decisive battle with Zhi Pang's Western Flank in two days time.

"Your Majesty, they have arrived." Empress Yin quickly perked up as His Majesty issued an order, "Bring them in." The eunuch left and His Majesty's chief eunuch, Eunuch Ban said, "Your Majesty Empress seems very excited."