Chapter 23 Seeking the Truth

After having spoken with General Tong about many matters, Meng Lin felt too many emotions that he didn't desire to feel and instead took the chance to stroll the barracks under less vigilance from General Tong or Lieutenant Jiang.

The barracks tents were set in a formation Meng Lin recognized from her weiqi lessons. In a matters of half an incense stick Meng Lin had found the position of Jiang Wei's study tent which was always set up and was known as the Jiang's tent.

It was always put up even in the absence of any Jiang family member as a show of loyalty, respect and admiration for their masters, the Jiang family.

Meng Lin refrained from sneaking around Jiang Wei's tent and chose to go back to his tent and plan a less risky way of getting the information he desired. From what General Tong had told him, Meng Lin did not know what to belief and whether or not the story was true, the mission had to continue. Meng Lin thought back and wondered if Zheng Ye had known about this and chose not to tell him.

Meng Lin, after straying into deeper thoughts, found himself in front of Ji Heng's tent only to find Jiang Wei leaving and Ji Heng seeing him off with a solemn bow.

Meng Lin watched as Ji Heng stared at Jiang Wei for a long time before turning back to his tent and spotting her whilst doing so.

"Meng Lin, what are you doing there?" Meng Lin frowned and thought, "Didn't General Tong say that Lieutenant Jiang was resting? What is he doing here? Did he have something to say to Ji Heng in private?"

Meng Lin then recalled General Tong's behavior at the meeting they just hard and suddenly realized, "What if General Tong lured me away so that Jiang Wei and Ji Heng could converse in private? What would they have talked about that they would use such a strategy to ensure that my location is well known and I would be incapable of disrupting them?"

Another thought came to Meng Lin's mind, "Why would they go through such lengths unless Unless they suspect me?"

It then clocked in Meng Lin's mind that Ji Heng's warning was not only out of concern but also out of having figured out Jiang Wei's true personality. Meng Lin realized that his plans were slowly dissolving to nothingness as with Jiang Wei so vigilant against him, nothing plausible could be done.

Meng Lin answered with a smile, hiding his thoughts, as he walked towards Ji Heng, "I just arrived and caught sight of something interesting. Official Ji, do you want to know what it is?"

Ji Heng's face turned solemn, "You always speak to me in this way when you dont have a good mood or have remembered something sad. What happen? Did General Tong bully you?" Meng Lin was a bit stunned and did not quip anything like he would were Ji Heng's words not true, so Ji Heng said assertively, "I am right. I'll go talk to General Tong right now. Even though we are younger and less experienced it doesnt mean that he can bully you. We are still courtiers personally chosen by His Highness Crown Prince and approved by His Majesty. He should still respect you."

Meng Lin, taking advantage of the moment, stared at Ji Heng's angry expression with a soft gaze, making Ji Heng more emotional. "Why are you looking at me like that? What happen?"

Meng Lin shook his head before speaking, "Ji Heng daren, I am not a child. No need for such semantics. Never mind that, what was Lieutenant Jiang doing here? I just happen to see him leave? What did he come here for when he could have easily sent for you to his tent?"

Ji Heng stared at Meng Lin with a wary look before answering, "It was nothing out of the ordinary. His Highness Crown Prince sent Lieutenant Jiang to tell me something. His Highness carries high expectations for me. It is not alien that he would do such a thing."