Chapter 22 Assassinations

After the Lu Ming Lake Pavilion banquet and Jiang armys departure with Crown Prince, the Jiang residence was awfully quiet and desolate. Old Madam Wang had inevitably revealed everything that had happen in the banquet, including the little charade between Jiang Wei and Ci Yongxin in the presence of His Highness Crown Prince, and the revelation of what Madam Jiang and Madam Ren had done. Jiang Jing was beyond furious and forbid Yang Mi from nearing him or his sleeping chamber. Old Madam Wang had also planned to send Madam Jiang to her maiden hometown Xiang county of Rongan province where her grandmother Madam Yang, Jun Nian, lived but Jiang Jing refused. We cannot do that, Mother. This time is a very critical stage for the Jiang family. If my colleagues in the imperial court realize what had happen then there will be no end to the Jiang familys problems. Mother, trust me. Once this is over I will send Yang Mi back to Xiang county. But not now, not when the Jiang family is like a starving person surrounded by vultures. Let me go through this first, and when I emerge victorious everything will turn out for the better. Although Wang Jingrui did not completely understand what Jiang Jing was planning but something, an instinct of sort, told her that it would do more harm than good if it didnt go as planned. Wang Jingrui knew that the life of an official in the imperial court is like a constant cycle of deception and manipulation and Jiang Jing was already in too deep to turn back now. At this time, the shops were closed and Lady Chu was too spooked to come out of her house, even when Jiang Jing called to secretly meet her. This worried Jiang Jing as he plans wouldnt go smoothly without Chu Sisis cooperation. What Jiang Jing didnt know was that Chu Sisi had received a visitor on the night of the Lantern Festival.

That night, Chu Sisi walked back home with her mind jumbled up with all sorts. What just happened? I almost died? Who wants me dead? Madam Jing was nearest to me, does she want me dead? But I didnt do anything and even told her about her husbands attempt at seducing my maid. She was very thankful and even made my business with the other noble women easier. Was she coerced? At this time she remembered Madam Jiangs words when they met at the hall, Truly things would have spiraled for the worst if you had fallen. I hope you have learned your lesson not to stay too close to the edge. Being high up just means your fall is greater and more dangerous. You should be more careful moving forward. You are my husbands business partner after all. Many people who want to see him fail will likely target you, but I wouldnt. After all, you lessen my husbands burdens, naturally I care about your matters. From her appearance to the way she carried herself, Madam Jiang did not exude anything out of order. However there was something in her tone that made Chu Sisi feel chills crawl up and down her spine. Such a woman, Chu Sisi knew better than to offend. Besides, she was not alone in this world. Chu Qi, her son, was her beacon in the dark and her reason for living. She shouldnt do anything that would endanger his life or ruin their peaceful time in the capital. When Chu Sisi arrived in her home, she was surprised to find the door open and the backyard quiet and empty. Immediately, panic rose inside her and she ran hectically searching for her son. Qier! Qier! Qier, where are you? Please dont scare your mother and come out now! Chu Sisi looked all over the house but could not find her sons, only signs of struggle in the inner bedroom. Chu Sisi broke down, her worst fear coming true. They took my son! She took my son! She cried as she fell to the ground and pulled her hair like a mad woman.

Just when Chu Sisi was about to descend to madness, a young childs voice echoed in the front yard, Mummy! Chu Sisi looked around with wide eyes and indeed it was not a fragment of her imagination. It was her little boy Chu Qi who was running to her with a wide smile. Chu Sisis housemaid and Chu Qis nanny, Maid Xiao (Little Maid), ran towards her master with a worried look, Mistress, why are you on the floor? Chu Sisi was stunned by that question, Where were you? Didnt I tell you there are many people after the Jiang family at this time and not to go out? Where did you go without telling me? Little Maid said with all innocence, Mistress, did you not send him to tell us to pick up fresh vegetables and soothing herbs for dinner tonight? Before Chu Sisi could ask, Send who? A man dressed in ash grey monastery uniform but had long hair and a veiled hat that covered his face, appeared at the gate and stood there. It was the same man who had saved Chu Sisi a few hours ago. Chu Sisi knew this clearly because it was rare for monks or abbots to have full head hair despite their religions customs. Chu Sisi stared at him with a frown as she stood, her hands holding Little Maid and Chu Qi a bit behind her in a protective manner. Chu Qi noticed this and said, his voice young and sweet, Mummy need not worry. Uncle Tao protected us and even helped us buy everything for dinner. He is not a bad guy. Although this was something Chu Sisi wanted to believe, her encounters with this man were too coincidental. Moreover, how did she know where she lived and why did she lie to her family with that lie?