Chapter 39: The Return of The Primes

The Chief of Staff is talking with the CIA Director and Harold.

Chief of Staff: I must say, it is remarkable, really astounding, the success that the CIA has had since you have taken operational control, and so the President has asked me to ask you to ask him, to invite you both over to the White House just to powwow, where we get maybe some more specifics about how exactly you're hunting the enemy Decepticons left.

CIA Director: I've had my desk for two years. Mr. Attinger has been here for twenty-five. He runs the projects where I don't ask for specifics. That's why they're called Black Ops. And why we all sleep better at night.

Chief of Staff: Check. That is great. So, um... Any dirt on that? How, that's going?

Harold: Outstanding.

Chief of Staff: Great. Great. I was hoping to hear that. The President will be pleased. 'Cause, I'll tell you right now, I've only been Chief of Staff since Monday, um, but I do know that the alien war stuff, these are... These are the only fun meetings.

Harold: Look, I'm not here to entertain the President, but you may tell him that the war will be over. Soon.

Chief of Staff: "...be over..." In case he asks, I just like to have an exact quote. "War will be over soon." That is great. Such good news. And, um, the President would, I know, just love... Really, really love to press the flesh... Not flesh, obviously, but just maybe get a shot with, um... Is it Lord Prime's? Sir Prime's? We could bop on Air Force One. It'd be just a quick bop, then we just bop in and bop back.

Harold: I wouldn't get his hopes up on that one.

Chief of Staff: Okay.

CIA Director: They are called Optimus and Y/N Prime.

Harold: Alien combatant and half human and half alien. Here illegally.

Chief of Staff: But aren't they our friends? Why?

Harold: Because our world will never truly be safe till all of them are gone.

Chief of Staff: Well, I would hope we could do a much more ceremonial farewell. Especially since our military has worked so closely with them. Until you.

Harold: It's not their planet. Never was. Time we take it back.

Meanwhile, Cade was working on a robot as he tries to make it move its hand and paint.

Cade: All right, come on. Come on. Yes. Yes. Yes. There you go. No, hold it. Stop shaking! Why are you shaking? You have the job!

Tessa enters the barn with food.

Tessa: You forgot to eat dinner! You see why I worry?

Cade: Look, sorry, sweetie, I... I almost got it working right.

Tessa: So, listen, I'm done with homework and set with finals, so I was just gonna take a little drive with some friends if that was okay with you. No boys, I know. Graduate first.

Cade: Exactly.

Tessa: You do know no one else has this rule, right?

Cade: Rule? Don't make it sound harsh, okay? It's wisdom. I don't think we need to be driving around in the middle of the night. It's already like quarter to eight. It's almost dark. Spud, will you stop it? You know where I was for my graduation?

Cade points to a picture of him, his wife, and a baby Tessa.

Tessa: Yes. With me, the mistake.

Cade: The surprise, Tess. And the best thing that ever happened. Do we look unhappy? No. It's the greatest day of my life. I made your mother a promise before she passed. Our baby's gonna be at her graduation. That's it. High school boys know nothing. It's only later they turn into men.